El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to working on cars and new owner of 84 caballero 305 i want to change the coolant because it was running hot. is it as simple as un do plug let coolant drain , flush with water , fill with coolant50/50? I researched and some said stuff about block plugs? I appreciate the advice and sorry if this is in wrong topic? and how much coolant 3 gallons? I want her to run cool... i live in california so it doesn't get too cold

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Changing the coolant (only) can be a simple as the drain and refill as you mention. Flushing the system for the change is not much more effort...But...With overheating the first thing you need to do is pressure test the cooling system. Including the radiator cap you take off to apply the pump up gauge for doing it. That will also reveal if you have some leak from any of the freeze plugs that are in the block. I like to add a 'flushing tee' to the heater hose line going into the core for flushing (the one coming out of the water pump). Do it with engine running and turn on the heat to open circulation through the heater core too. For any purchased flush or clean products, just follow instructions on the bottle.......But Pressure test pressure test pressure test to search for the cause of overheating!

Good luck! :beer:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the quick reply

unfortunately i don't have a pressure test.. but thanks for all the advice rtatwk ...

jjLT1 it seems more in traffic and idle then high way

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
unfortunately i don't have a pressure test.. but thanks for all the advice rtatwk ...

jjLT1 it seems more in traffic and idle then high way
I don't have one either. Have my Son borrow one from the auto center he manages when I need one. All of those have one... Some chain parts places may have one too and test your system for you free. Just throwing stuff at it (coolant and parts) can become another part and more coolant, and so on.

Another two places for a quick look from your new description is. Check lower radiator hose (squeeze) to be sure it is reinforced with a spring coil inside and not collapsing.....And check the fan clutch. Grab a fan blade (engine off) and try to give it a spin. About half a rotation and stop is good. Full or free spin is bad.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Go to AutoZone and borrow a test gauge. They require you to pay for their loaner tools but give you all the money back when you return them.By the way,if you find its the radiator, you can buy a Spectra ,made in Canada,from either Amazon or from Autozone with a lifetime warranty. I have been running one for about five years and it does a fantastic job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll check tomorrow

Ima check tomorrow if it doesn't rain hopefully I'll get this handled .. By the way what's the temp a 84 should run at ?

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
what temp it runs at depends on the thermostat temp,,
it depends on the cooling system and whats been changed..
it should have a 195* t-stat, so about 200-205..

in traffic it would a little hotter than it does when your going down the hiway..
see what temp it runs on the hiway, and that kinda tells you what t-stat it has..

if someone has installed a cooler t-stat, it may help on the hiway, and hurt in traffic..

:texas:

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
When we slushed my coolant, we converted to a safer Propylene Glycol formula.
Although not safe to drink, it is much less toxic to kids, domestic animals, birds etc.
Normal Ethelene Glycol is ultra toxic.
My sisters dog died from nervous system damage from licking from a leak, and it is almost always not recoverable.

The Safer Protection Stuff has not seemed to had any negative affect on cooling.
The brand that I put in is Prestone LowTox. Peak also has the Sierra product.
If you go to the auto parts store and don't see it, do as I did.
Tell them to go to the back and bring out the good stuff, that has the kid, or puppy, or kitten on the label.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts