El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '76 el camino with the 305. For some reason the overflow for the coolant is bone dry. Looks like it hasn't been used in years. It has a hose going to the radiator but the return hose is just a pipe going nowhere. The radiator is half full. I've had the car for a couple of months and driven it a lot and it's never overheated. Am I missing something or does this model not need the overflow?

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Hi rolospumoi, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. I think the radiator should be full. I think the overflow tank should be working. I'm not sure where the return pipe is to connect. Others may give you different opinion. Enjoy and have fun.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I had the same situation with a 72 Malibu. Turned out the radiator cap was bad and all the coolant from the expansion blew out when hot and was basically operating like there was no cap installed and the motor never overheated during the short drive I had daily. I replaced the cap and filled the radiator and the overflow to the cold level and all was well! In your situation I think the overflow tank is probably leaking and someone just hooked a piece of hose and pipe and deleted the overflow and your cap may be working OK just spits out the extra coolant from the expansion from heat but can't recover when it cools down. Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
most recovery setups just have 1 hose, to the bottom of the tank..
some older coolant recovery tanks do have a vent hose on top..

if your not using the recovery setup the radiator will normally
be down 4-5 inches, when you check it cold..

x2 on checking for leaks in the tank, or maybe a bad cap or hose,,
trash in the radiator / tank / cap not letting it seal..

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
speaking of which, what is the best/easiest way to clean out an old recovery tank, so that you can actually see thru it to see the coolant level? baking soda with hot boiling water? citric acid?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
:geek: Welcome, Glad you found us.
Have fun and enjoy NECOA. I would
fill it up. and put on a new OEM cap
from A/C Delco. Should only have one
hose going from overflow tank to top of
rad. neck just under cap. Good luck..
From Nick & Don
Grove City, Ohio..:)

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
my bad, Rolo
I wasn't thinking far enuff back
some had the hose from the radiator to the cap on the plastic jug
then it went to the bottom of the jug inside with another hose..
those did not have a hose tap on the bottom of the jug,
but it may have the vent/over-flow hose on the jug cap or on the jug..
rad rec cap.jpg rad jug.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
speaking of which, what is the best/easiest way to clean out an old recovery tank, so that you can actually see thru it to see the coolant level? baking soda with hot boiling water? citric acid?
I tried many cleaning solutions on my 85 recovery tank then I finally brought out the powerful stuff. Muriatic acid 50/50 . Very strong and dangerous stuff, do not use on your driveway it destroy the surface. I worked in a fiberglass resin laundry sink and kept a water hose flowing nearby. wear gloves and face protection. Plug the lower hole with rubber. Fill with 50/50 and let sit for 6-8 hrs. Mine came out much better but not like new. Got rid of most of the dirty brown stuff. A 2nd treatment may have been helpful but I was out of acid.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I tried many cleaning solutions on my 85 recovery tank then I finally brought out the powerful stuff. Muriatic acid 50/50 . Very strong and dangerous stuff, do not use on your driveway it destroy the surface. I worked in a fiberglass resin laundry sink and kept a water hose flowing nearby. wear gloves and face protection. Plug the lower hole with rubber. Fill with 50/50 and let sit for 6-8 hrs. Mine came out much better but not like new. Got rid of most of the dirty brown stuff. A 2nd treatment may have been helpful but I was out of acid.
6-8hrs? I'dve thought that would burn a hole in it at 50% strength and turn the plastic brittle

·
Registered
22 Posts
We use this to eliminate rust stains from irrigation wells on concrete and vinyl siding. We spray it and forget it. Might be worth a try. 82DA43FA-098B-47B1-A797-C69F90B6C56C.png

1 - 10 of 10 Posts