El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the location of the coolant temperature sensor goes? Pics would be very helpful. Oh, I have a 1984 Elky SS with a 305 cid.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If it is the same as mine (350) than it is on the passenger side of the block, between # 6 and 8 cylinders, just under the header bracket. Sorry for no pics :angry: its too dark outside right now...

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Does anyone know the location of the coolant temperature sensor goes? Pics would be very helpful. Oh, I have a 1984 Elky SS with a 305 cid.
The coolant temperature sensor, as your ? implies is on the manifold next to the thermostat housing (has oval shaped female receiver for plug in). The coolant temperature sender (for gauge) is on the LEFT side of the block between #1 and #3 plugs. Look resembles other sending units. I'm thinking one of the wires is purple. Ooops my bad...It is a dark green wire

:beer:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 1984 El Camino 5 liter

I am truly confused as to which of the sensors in my picture are the coolant temperature sensor, or perhaps neither. The sensor the el camino shop sent me is pictured in the second picture. I believe the harness is not proper and where the heck does the green clip go. Is extra for some add-on I do not have or does go to something. Any help would be useful. Sorry cannot upload picture but I have them if anyone cares to help me. Jrferry25

·
Registered
10 Posts
The coolant temperature sensor, as your ? implies is on the manifold next to the thermostat housing (has oval shaped female receiver for plug in). The coolant temperature sender (for gauge) is on the LEFT side of the block between #1 and #3 plugs. Look resembles other sending units. I'm thinking one of the wires is purple. Ooops my bad...It is a dark green wire

🍺
What is the purpose of the temp sensor that is next to the thermostat housing if you have both thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
for the Computer
it has nothing to do with the gauge..
hmm, on my 305, the Mechanical gauge goes to the one on the intake. Not sure if I have another spot. It’s an aftermarket gauge and the computer has been removed so perhaps that’s just where it easiest for PO to put it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts