El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my 3 1/2 year restoration of a 1982 Caballero Amarillo. I dropped a 327 in place of the 305 engine. The 327 has a somewhat radical cam to give it that good loping sound. The engine now runs a steady 208 degrees, but I know this coming summer it may push up to boiling when the A/C is running. I have a new radiator and have installed a 16" single electric fan onto it. The fan is rated at 3000 cfm (Summit FLX-238 Flex Wave Electric Fan). I am considering purchasing a plain flex blade fan (no clutch) and putting it back on the water pump pulley. Near as I can tell there is clearance between the electric fan and a conventional fan. I would hope that the conventional AND the electric both would provide more than enough cooling capacity to bring the temperature down. Has anyone seen this done before, running electric and conventional fans? Is there a problem I may be missing in considering doing this?

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
A 6 or 7 blade fan with clutch with a good fan shroud is the end/ultimate answer to the cooling issues for most.
What temp thermostat are you running? If a 195 deg. the 208 is about what it will open at.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
A good fan shroud is essential for any fan. What are you running for engine timing?

Rick

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A 6 or 7 blade fan with clutch with a good fan shroud is the end/ultimate answer to the cooling issues for most.
What temp thermostat are you running? If a 195 deg. the 208 is about what it will open at.
I am using the original fan shroud, but thinking of adding plastic along the edges closest to the radiator, without touching it, which would insure the fan(s) pull across the radiator and are not pulling from between the shroud and the radiator. There is a gap there right now of about an inch or so. I am running a 185 thermostat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A good fan shroud is essential for any fan. What are you running for engine timing?

Rick
Rick, I had a mechanic set the timing, so I can't remember exactly. Seems like he advanced it about 10 degrees from zero. Are you thinking the timing might be off so it is running the temp up?

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
yea, check the stat first, they have a tenicide to be stuck closed test it first to make sure it opens at the right temp.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Timing does effect engine heating but we might not know until summer if your timing is significantly too far off for best engine cooling. A timing light and some white paint on the harmonic balancer timing index line would tell us.

Let's hope your 327 engine timing chain cover came over with the engine because it is possible the 305 timing index could be in a different welded location than for the 327.

Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts