El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 1970 with TH 400 to the transmission shop for several issues. Since my kickdown does not work I ask him to see if the kickdown wiring was there and plugged in, which it was. We followed the one wire right to the accelerator pedal and a switch located there.

Now my question. I checked the GM manual and the 454 cars in 1970 "should" have had the switch installed at the carb, and not on the accelerator pedal. I have seen this switch at the accelerator pedal before, and believed it to be part of the cowl induction system which does not work on my car. Were there some cars built with kickdown switches in both locations?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have seen them both ways ,i prefer the one inside the car.look outside in the engine bay for a loose plug near the carb, if you have no loose or cut wires yours was inside. if i remember right it should be one orange wire. i have seen the cans inside the trans pan go bad and have no kick down. check the switch for power with the key on and power out when floored out.then check the wire at the trans for power when floored. if you have power at the trans when floored the solenoid in the trans is dead. it looks like a little can with a wire going ot it. its easy to get to once the pan is rermoved

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The wire I followed from the tranny to the switch on the accelerator pedal was yellow or faded white. It could have been orange. I am having the tranny rebuilt so we will check both switch and solenoid while it is out of the car. Thanks again.

·
Registered
852 Posts
take the plug loose from the terminal on the side of the trans and check to see if its getting power (or ground, i forget how theyre wired) with a test light. it may not even be the wiring or switch, maybe its the selenoid in the transmission.
that being said, ive seen them both ways, i know the late 70s camaro z28s that had the electric cowl hoods had the switches there, as well.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
they used the switch for all sorts of things,hood solenoids,ac cut outs and trans passing gear.but the wire at the trans should be hot with the key on and the pedal on the floor. the switch is adjustable in its bracket and with time and wear it may only need adjustment. my 86 has a place for one on the pedal support /cc mounting bracket

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.