El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
I'm doing a metal 2" cowl myself. I've heard of too many horror stories with fit and cracking of the fiberglas ones.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Every fiberglass hood I've seen is wavy and not smooth. The steel cowl hood is the way to go. They are also available at Honest Charley's. You should be able to get a discount from them as well, if you mention your membership.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Go Steel.

You'll never be completely satisfied with the glass hood. I've got a brand new Harwood fiberglass lift off cowl hood. After I bought it I decided it was a mistake. I'd like to sell it because I'm buying a metal hood.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steel hood

Thanks guys
I was leaning toward the steel myself. You helped me make up my mind.
Has anyone triedf the Goodmark steel cowl hood. Looks nicely finished on the under side and I like the idea of a 2" cowl instead of 3 or 4 inches.
And I think the price is around $429.00.
Thanks again

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Goodmark is the one I'm getting. I've nothing but good things about their stuff. I hope to be ordering mine in about a month or so.

·
Registered
119 Posts
cowl scoop

Hey guys, do they make a 4inch "outlaw" style metal cowl? I had to order a fiberglass scoop with that height to get to where I will be able to close my hood. Im this part of Texas(Lubbock) summers are brutally hot, talking in the 100's over half the summers and smoth into September. I am worried about that the will do toa fiberglass hood. Got the fiberglass scoop because I simply spent all my money on the engine, had non left for an entire hood :oops:

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Hey Guys;

Before ordering a Goodmark Cowl Hood, hold off a couple days. I just fired off an e-mail to them to see if they'd be willing to offer us a group discount...

Maybe if they see a growth potential for the 4th gen. aftermarket as well, we could be instrumental in paving the way...

·
Banned
881 Posts
87SS said:
Hey Guys;Before ordering a Goodmark Cowl Hood, hold off a couple days. I just fired off an e-mail to them to see if they'd be willing to offer us a group discount...
I'll take one for a 5th gen. :D

I've been putting it off for long enough. This is a really good reason to buy in a group. I'm always motivated by saving a few bucks on something I need anyway.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Cowl hoods do really set off the looks of a 5th Gen Elky don't they! I was wondering if anyone has actually made the Goodmark hood functional cowl induction on a 5th Gen by installing the parts off a 70SS. NPD sells all the parts necessary, I am considering this and wondering if it feasible. I'm wondering if the aircleaner, gasket and flange will line up with the position of the hood and motor. I'd like to install the flapper valve also if that's possible, but that would be more for looks.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Ernie, this is another reason the Goodmark hood is a better choice, all the custom modification is not needed, it's already setup like a 70 SS cowl induction hood the way the frame for the hood is manufactured.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts