El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used Craftec lid for my 5th gen. The instructions from the website are kinda vague to me. I need photos of how the slide frame is mounted to the cab and how the lock levers actually lock the lid in place. In fact, if you want you can take a few with the lid up and down, inside the bed with the lid up/down. Anything that will help me mount this properly. Thanks for your help.. if you take a lot of pics, PM me and I'll give you my email address to make it easier.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I can do it for you tomorrow in the daylight. Mine is one of the older ones maybe? It has bungee cords to hold it down. No locks on it.
But just to give you an idea for now, it has the hinge mounted under the rear window. A shock mounted on each side inside the bed and a "L" bracket on the lower rear inside of the bed on each side for the bungee cord.

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
I recently bought a used Craftec lid for my 5th gen. The instructions from the website are kinda vague to me. I need photos of how the slide frame is mounted to the cab and how the lock levers actually lock the lid in place. In fact, if you want you can take a few with the lid up and down, inside the bed with the lid up/down. Anything that will help me mount this properly. Thanks for your help.. if you take a lot of pics, PM me and I'll give you my email address to make it easier.
I can do it Saturday if no one has them. heres a couple of distant shots. I will get closeups of the mounts

belky1.png

belky.png

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the efforts guys. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might take a look at this thread. About half way through, I show some pictures of some JackNut mounting studs for the front hinge.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=33642&highlight=craftec+electric
Hey Mike. Thanks for the help. Funny thing about this post is that the cover i bought is the one 464elky had. Kinda funny reading what he did. I still don't know how it attachets to the cab. I'm guessing tape since there are no mounting holes. Still waiting for photos..

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
Don't know if this will help, but it is a video I took of the mount attached to the cab. I was using wellnuts, and they were not holding. The jacknuts I showed in my other link have held up well.

Stock, they came with just a couple of 5/16 bolts and nuts, and you had to go inside and remove trim to get to the nuts. To mount, I attached the mount to the cover, and laid it on the Elky. I then went into the bed and marked the location of the holes. IIRC, they are about 12" up from the bed floor. The mounts slide on the hinge, so precision left to right is not so important. Up and down height needs the attention. I had to use some spacers between the mount and the cab to get it to align for me at the tailgate. I think I used 1/4" on one side.

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/darbysan/?action=view&current=CIMG3185.mp4

HTH

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
The more I think about your question, the more it sounds like maybe you don't have the two beefy aluminum mounts that hold the hinge to the cab. They are about 3/8" thick and about 1" wide, and have a slight bend to them ( maybe 15-20 degrees). They slide on the hinge rail, and have a single hole each for mounting to the cab.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The more I think about your question, the more it sounds like maybe you don't have the two beefy aluminum mounts that hold the hinge to the cab. They are about 3/8" thick and about 1" wide, and have a slight bend to them ( maybe 15-20 degrees). They slide on the hinge rail, and have a single hole each for mounting to the cab.
Thanks Mike.. I'll take a pic when I get home and show you what I have. Let me watch the video first so this does not become more redundant. Thanks for your patience. I want to do this right the 1st time and learn from others experiences.

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
Mike the parts to mount it to the cab are there. I left the bolts sticking through them with the nuts on them.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2012-05-06 16.30.31-1.jpg I think I got it now. This bolt goes thru the rear wall of the cab. Dang, didn't mean to be so blind. Some thing just don't jive sometimes. Thanks guys..

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oops

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha, i meant to send a pm to Neil (464elky) but posted it here instead. I dont know how to delete a post and there had to be at least one word, so oops was the 1st thing i thought of..

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Haha, i meant to send a pm to Neil (464elky) but posted it here instead. I dont know how to delete a post and there had to be at least one word, so oops was the 1st thing i thought of..
I was hoping you weren't going to say the cover flew off on the highway or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts