El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just posted in the performance section about possibly adding an edelbrock 2099 power kit to my crate 350 in my 71 el camino. Besides trying to add a bit more power to the engine that way, I was wondering if theres something else i could do instead. I was thinking about possibly adding a COMP Thumpr Hydraulic Roller Cam. Would this add significant power to my motor? And if i did replace the cam, would I also have to look into replacing other components of the engine, lifters, pistons, cranks, rockers? Im just looking for a little bit of input to get a bit more power out of my engine.
Thanks

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,247 Posts
The Comp Cams Thumpr series cam will definitely let people know you're coming, but they do not make as much power as a standard cam. If you look at their interactive cam selector on their website, you'll see the the Thumpr cams make 5-10% less peak power, most likely due to their lift characteristics.
It's a WAY awesome cam selector tool. Check it out:

http://www.camquest.com

·
Supporting Member
4,528 Posts
Simon, welcome to the site. The advice we can give you depends a lot on the info you give us about what you want the vehicle to do. For example, if this is a daily driver, then the advice will be different than if it is a dedicated strip vehicle.

Give us some more details on what you want it to do, and also info on your current setup, including trans and rear end ratio. Sometimes, a rear gear change will do as much or more for daily performance as a lot of engine work. I also see you live in CA. I know their SMOG laws are tough- just don't know of the '71 is old enough to be exempt from them.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,050 Posts
The thread in Performace has many suggestions.

Hi,
I just posted in the performance section about possibly adding an edelbrock 2099 power kit to my crate 350 in my 71 el camino. Besides trying to add a bit more power to the engine that way, I was wondering if theres something else i could do instead. I was thinking about possibly adding a COMP Thumpr Hydraulic Roller Cam. Would this add significant power to my motor? And if i did replace the cam, would I also have to look into replacing other components of the engine, lifters, pistons, cranks, rockers? Im just looking for a little bit of input to get a bit more power out of my engine.
Thanks
A hydraulic roller has the definite potential to add significant gains to your existing motor, however as many on this site will tell you, it is much more about the combination of parts that is important, yes you can add a ginormous cam to your motor, but if the rest of the parts arent designed to work with that cam the results will be less than stellar. In your case you are starting with a motor with a flat tappet cam, cast crank and cast pistons, stock heads and intake.

This motor is a great starting point but adding a hyd. roller to it opens a massive can of worms. for example, stock iron heads dont lift very high, and in fact even if they did they dont flow up there so high lift on these heads is often a waste, the exact number escapes me but its not much more than .500, just about any performace hyd roller will lift beyond that, this means head modifications, new springs etc...and the associated costs that go along with it. Since its a flat tappet motor, you will need retrofit lifters, new pushrods, new rockers, a cam button, and depending on the cam manufacturer perhaps a new distributor gear (though that tends to be less an issue now than in the early retrofit roller days).

Once you get to a certain power level the cast pistons become a liability, especially if you plan to use that power, that level will vary from person to person, I generally say with any small block when you start to approach 1hp/cu in its time to consider stronger parts. On big blocks because of the weight of the reciprocating parts I like stronger parts earlier than that rule of thumb, its all very subjective really.

Your 71 fortunately is smog exempt so you are not hamstrung by complaince with that.

Jeff smith of Car Craft magazine recently did a nice comparison of small block aluminum heads for budget minded enthusiasts, I would recommend reading that article for budget head choices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts