El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping for some engine advice.
I have a 1969 El Camino with a blown 1974 350 engine. I'm considering a GM 350 crate engine with 200 HP which is about $1,800 from Hawaiin Racing in Simi Valley. I'm concerned I will not be happy with the low 200 HP. How much HP would I be satisfied with and how much more would it cost for the additional HP.
Any help would be appreciated. I'm located in Simi Valley CA

·
Premium Member
4,268 Posts
First thing first: Engine is blown as in kaboom? Or as in forced induction?

How much noise do you want?
Is hearing music important?
How important is fuel mileage to you?
How much HP in your current engine, and was that enough for fun?

·
Premium Member
4,268 Posts
John, I think he is looking at the same GM crate engine. It runs from 195 HP to 260 HP depending on accessories, like headers, manifold, fuel system etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The block is cracked in my engine.
Noise - I little rumble would be nice, but I really just want to be able to enjoy driving it rather then seeing it sit lifeless.
Mileage - I'm not too concerned with as I just drive it locally
My current engine was about 225 HP, which was okay. Depending on the cost for the additional HP, I might want something closer to 275 HP.

I will check JEGS and Summit. Great suggestion. I was hoping to buy from a local retailer to avoid shipping charges, but it's worth looking into.

Thank you for your responses to my question! I really appreciate it!

Icutfilm

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
With all the hot new cars, 5-600 hp should do the trick!:twisted:
Like Oldbear said its good for about 260 with headers, manifold and good qjet.
Jegs and Summit usually run free shipping, but I think it has to be a business address for truck freight.:bigups:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I got free shipping to my home, lift gate service from a chevy dealership off of eBay. I didn't get charged a core either....just be cautious who you buy from. IIRC......Blueprint engines has a nice selection also, IMHO....stick with roller cam options, with aftermarket heads or vortec. :bat_angel:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the suggestions of Blueprint engines and IMHO. I will also look on ebay and take your advice about the roller cam, aftermarket heads or vortec.
:nanawrench:
Icutfilm

·
Premium Member
4,268 Posts
Ralph,
If I remember correctly, you have a friend that installed a BluePrint 383 engine with roller cam and aluminum heads about a year ago. Any word back from him on how that engine is doing?

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
No thoughts of going back to big block like da 69 SS came with? :secret:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Another option is to check with a local machine shop. When I called one near me for a quote on a rebuild, they told me they had one already built on a stand and ready to run for $1000. I brought it home the same day. :smileyb:

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I bought the 350 / 330 hp GM crate from JEGS and am very h appy with it. It spins the tires and chirps the 1-2. I drive it locally but take at least 1 trip a year with more than 700 miles. With about 16,000 miles the carb and distributer have been replaced, otherwise trouble free.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Chevy crate from Jegs comes with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty from GM just take it to the dealer and they will warranty it under normal conditions.

That's the smart choice but I put this 454 in my 69:twisted:

Fit's perfect and runs great $600.00 plus some $30.00 summit valve covers that don't leak a drop of oil.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I ordered a 350 crate through the local Napa auto parts store - about $1425 plus core. Built by S&J Engines in Spokane, WA. It was shipped to local Napa dealer (no cost to me) where I picked it up. For another $100 they put in a different cam shaft and different pistons. I don't know the rated horsepower - I'm still in the installation process which will be on hold for a couple of months.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Shoot buy now it's $1460.00 delivered that's what I paid 4 years ago. no core charge ,shipping or tax on this baby. All your acc. will fit even the flex plate intake manifold and balancer you only need to buy gaskets and fluids.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Performance/GM-Goodwrench-350ci-Engine-Packages/752506/10002/-1

809-10067353

GM Goodwrench 350ci Crate Engine •195 HP (Can produce up to 260 HP)
•4-Bolt Main
•3-Year/100,000-Mile Warranty
•Some exclusions may apply

If you didn't notice this is a long block.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I can tell you that the Goodwrench crate is a pretty good deal. I have played with them and know others who have done the same. A cam swap with headers, a decent intake and carb will put them in the low 14 second 1/4 mile without much trouble. Not blazing fast, but for what it is it's pretty good.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Jegs 350 GM Goodwrench crate motor new not rebuilt , 260 hp with 4 barrel , free delivery , no tax , 1500 bucks , warrantee , complete long block ,includes heads , all parts off your old motor fit , what could be better ,unless you're lookin' to race. carb,manifold not incl . comes with 4 bolt mains.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
I can tell you that the Goodwrench crate is a pretty good deal. I have played with them and know others who have done the same. A cam swap with headers, a decent intake and carb will put them in the low 14 second 1/4 mile without much trouble. Not blazing fast, but for what it is it's pretty good.
Back it with posi. and 373 gears and you will turn heads on the street.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts