El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoa.... It has been years since I was last on here.

Anyways, my 84 El Camino has been neglected in storage of the past few years in need of a heart transplant to get her going again. I am thinking of a 350 or a 383 longblock. Who out there has the best ones for the money. i want to keep it as simple as possible. I am looking to spend no more than 3-4000 dollars.

Thanks.

B

·
0 Posts
Check out Pace in Boardman, Ohio. They have alot of options for GM Performance engines. I got my ZZ4 GM Performance engine from them. It's 355HP and 405 FT. LBS. of torque. Runs great in my T-bucket and always starts with just a touch of the key. I'm getting one for my 72 Elky too.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
also skip the 260hp GM longblock (unless you want to use just the shortblock) - the compression is VERY low (7.87:1). I have one and am about to go back in to install 64cc heads so i get get compression up to a still low (so i can use regular gas) but more useable 9.2:1. - if you buy the 290hp you get the same motor with a different cam - GM charges you about $400 more for the 290hp model.

you can buy the 260hp model, takes the heads off and have a useable shortblock - i have a guy here who is going to buy my old heads to stock the shelf at his shop.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Almost ready to install my new 350/260 HP $1469.99 delivered from Jegs. I've heard nothing but good things about this motor but I'm using it as a daily driver.

I have a daily driver ’87 El Camino with a tired 305. I’d like to put a crate 350 in it. Nothing radical, just a stocker with maybe 200-250 hp. It also must pass California smog. I remember reading an article (four to five years ago) about a crate motor with an Edelbrock manifold, carb, and a 305 cam, but I no longer have the magazine. Any suggestions? Thanks,
Doug Cole
Via email
Doug, for a simple crate 350 engine swap we recommend going with a factory GM Goodwrench crate engine. GM has been offering this engine forever. They were originally called the Target Master Crate engine and were renamed when GM started branding itself Goodwrench. GM has built millions of these engines over the years, and we’ve used them for truck and passenger car replacement engines, and whipped them on the dyno for run after run, without even a whimper. Give our good friend Ken Casey a call at the new John Elway Chevrolet (800.345.5744) for pricing and freight for a 350 Goodwrench engine (PN 10067353). This is a direct replacement engine for ’71-85 applications. This will drop right into your ’Elco and all you’ll need to pick up is a standard-balance 153-tooth flexplate (PN 471529). Yes, you will need to truck the engine out from Colorado, but Casey is very competitive with his pricing, we’re guessing under $2,000 for a brand-new engine. All this and a factory warranty on the engine for two years and 50,000 miles!
As you said, you had a story of a crate with a simple camshaft swap and manifold. We’d go with an Edelbrock Performer EGR manifold (PN 3701), and the matching camshaft (PN 3702). This camshaft shaft specs out at 194/214 duration at 0.050-inch tappet lift, 0.396/0.442-inch max lift, and is ground on 112 centers. You will notice that this is a very short camshaft. It was originally developed back in 1985 to work in the LG4 305s, which were computer controlled. Oh yeah, that’s the engine that’s in your ’Elco. This camshaft will work in concert with your factory computer calibration and pass emissions in the state of California. The short nature of this camshaft will produce great throttle response and make outstanding slow-speed torque. The engine will make strong power to 5,000 rpm and produce about 250 hp through the stock exhaust manifolds and cat.
If you wish to step up to headers, you could also add the Edelbrock TES system, which is emissions legal in California and will boost your peak horsepower on this package by around 20 hp. The TES system for your LG4 305-equipped El Camino is PN 68783. This kit will bolt right in to your El Camino’s factory 21/4-inch catalytic converter. If you wish to step up the exhaust to the high-flow Corvette four-bolt–style converter, go with PN 68793. This, in conjunction with a nice after-cat exhaust, will round out your emissions-legal engine swap nicely.
We know this engine won’t turn the world with its sheer power, but it will give you a great daily driver that will get decent gas mileage and produce over 100 hp more than the stock 305! This will make a big difference in the fun factory with your ’Elco. Good luck! CHP
Sources: edelbrock.com, elwaydealers.com
:yell:
nce 10067353 - GM Goodwrench 350ci/290HP Engine & Packages

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if you can build an engine it only costs about 2000$ to build a low dollar 383. if you are going to constantly race it you want a better kit. for a daily driver with a trip down the track once in a while they live very well.if you cant build them for what ever reason try summit they quite a few in thier catalog

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
HKDUP87 - i remember that article! it was written by jeff smith (now at car craft) he was talking about how the LG4 cam produced so much torque. the 260hp motor has a cam pretty close to that grind. i have been researching cams for this car for about 2wks now and i will probably stay with the cam it came with for 2 reasons;

1) the 'power' stroke is 131degrees (exhaust opens at 131 degrees ATDC) - i have yet to find a cam from anyone with a longer power stroke - the closest is CompCam 12-205-2 at 128 degrees

2) the 'compression' stroke' is 139degrees (intake closes 41degrees ABDC) - and again the closest is that same CompCam with a 130degree compression stroke (intake closes 52degrees ABDC)

the engine i installed runs smooth as silk, without a single hiccup - i have no complaints there - however it has VERY low compression. low compression is wasted opportunity for power. i don't want to build a strip car, it's just a cruiser/commuter - i just want that unused potential.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Jeff Smith's '65 El Camino

I drove this car a few months back on Car Crafts Anti-tour (so Jeff could take photographs during the drive) Jeff has helped me on my '66

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
HKDUP87 - i remember that article! it was written by jeff smith (now at car craft) he was talking about how the LG4 cam produced so much torque. the 260hp motor has a cam pretty close to that grind. i have been researching cams for this car for about 2wks now and i will probably stay with the cam it came with for 2 reasons;

1) the 'power' stroke is 131degrees (exhaust opens at 131 degrees ATDC) - i have yet to find a cam from anyone with a longer power stroke - the closest is CompCam 12-205-2 at 128 degrees

2) the 'compression' stroke' is 139degrees (intake closes 41degrees ABDC) - and again the closest is that same CompCam with a 130degree compression stroke (intake closes 52degrees ABDC)

the engine i installed runs smooth as silk, without a single hiccup - i have no complaints there - however it has VERY low compression. low compression is wasted opportunity for power. i don't want to build a strip car, it's just a cruiser/commuter - i just want that unused potential.

Did you put in the 350/260? I just bought the exact one in the article with the same 305 swap but I'm not changing the cam. It's for daily driving and I hope mine runs smooth also. Just waiting for my truck to get back from the paint shop to drop it in.
Robert

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I recommend the GMPP ZZ4 motor. Available from your local Chevy parts counter FOB. 355 HP,428 lbft tq. Boltrs into any chevrolet. It is a strong motor snd I hsve had zero problems with it.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
my GM 350/260hp showed compression of 9:1 and it runs prettty good for my DD. Have about 4000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
9.1 can only happen mathematically if the compression stroke begins ABDC, which doesn't happen

volume equals pi times radius squared times height plus the 76cc combustion chamber

3.142 X 4.4cm squared X 10.2cm + 76cc = 696.45 if the cylinder comes all the way up to the deck everything would compress to 76cc 696.45 divided by 76 will get 9.1 this is theoretical max STATIC compression.

once you add the gasket thickness, how far below the deck the piston actually comes to, the recessed dome and take into account that the compression doesn't begin until 139 degrees BTDC when the intake valve closes your ACTUAL compression will be much lower

·
Registered
29 Posts
I swaped for a 350 in my 1987 305. Cam, carbs, etc really do not make that much difference. Put in a $100 HEI distributor with vacuum advance, 1985 Rochester TRUCK Carb and you will be very please as I was. If you have lots of time and money go ahead and play with all the mentioned above. There are alot of good postings on what I have done. Fire me off an email if you want more details.

Russ Foster
Dallas, TX

PS: suggest you forget the headers. Original iron castings are fine and you avoid alot of problems like cracks, bad fit, etc

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, you guys are getting way ahead of me.

I don't want to get a new engine and port it or recam it etc. I am looking for something I can drop in with little to no effort and cruise around. Looking to get somewhere in the 300-350 hp range out of it. About the same on torque. Decent mileage would be a bonus, not like I am going to ride it everyday although it was my daily driver for a few years. Just want it to sound mean and have a little ooph to it.

Cheers. :beer:

·
Registered
196 Posts
No one has mentioned the GM crate 350 330 HO with Vortec Heads 19210007. Base motor is $2875 (you would need an intake) It has 9.1:1 compression

Jim

1 - 20 of 44 Posts