El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, need some help!

Back ground info- I'm in the middle of a crate engine swap, replacing my tired out stock 350 with a GM crate 350- the 260hp version. put new edelbrock performer manifold and carb w/ electric choke on it and without really planning on it, I have replaced just about every other part except the exhaust manifolds- finally ran out of dough. Where I'm at so far:

PROBLEM:

When trying to replace the transmission vacuum modulator on the intake I have received the following part, and every parts store has the same thing:

However, my stock piece looks like this and has a heater hose outlet on it:

My question is what to do. I cannot get the old piece off with intold amount of PB blaster, 18 inch wrenches, hammer, cursing, etc. no budge whatsoever. Nor can i find a replacement tube that will house the new part since it can't screw into the manifold as is.:dontknow:

Has anyone run into this problem? how did you fix it? Does anyone know where I could find the part? I'm stumped and being held up by it.:dontknow:

Please help, and as a side note thanks for all the awesome info on the site, without any real history of engines i broke down, removed, built, installed and put back together my own block in my own garage pretty much by myself. that rocks.:beer:

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
The transmission modulator mounts on the side of the trans and the vacuum hose connects to the rear of the intake, probably to a tee fitting.
The second pic shows the heater control valve. This controls the flow of coolant into the heater core. Just ask for a heater control valve at the parts store for a 78 el camino with a 350.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The transmission modulator mounts on the side of the trans and the vacuum hose connects to the rear of the intake, probably to a tee fitting.
The second pic shows the heater control valve. This controls the flow of coolant into the heater core. Just ask for a heater control valve at the parts store for a 78 el camino with a 350.
Thanks Bobby! guess i just had the wrong part and was trying to make it fit in the wrong place. Much easier!:nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Yeah it happens. probably the vacuum canister on the heater control valve made it confusing. Or did a previous "mechanic" run a vacuum hose from the heater core to the trans?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it happens. probably the vacuum canister on the heater control valve made it confusing. Or did a previous "mechanic" run a vacuum hose from the heater core to the trans?
yes, mentioned vacuum and hose and oreilly tech pointed me to the trans mod.

and thankfully the "mechanic" who owned it before me hadn't got to heater hoses yet- based on some of their other handy work, it would be have even more exciting.:???:

thanks again for setting me straight! the correct parts are in the correct places and she will be fired up tomorrow! fingers crossed.:nanawrench:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.