El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at upgrading,my old 350,to a crate motor,and looking for something that has approx 350-400HP.My problem is,im in australia,but have a guy in pomona, that will ship it on to me.I could get mine built here,but the price for doing so,is no match for what i can buy out of the U.S..Ive read a few threads,regarding crate motors,but cant decide on WHO to go with...ive looked at (year one,summit,blueprint etc),and get varied feedback on their quality:dontknow:,prefably one in california,or possibly near by,as i would save on shipping cost.You guys would have more of an idea than me,so any help would be appreciated....P.S looking at either a intake motor,or turnkey,depending on price and quality..between $3-4000..cast iron vortec heads,or possibly alloy,if good quality...Thanks people..

·
Registered
189 Posts
X2,3-4 &5 on going with a company who will stand behind their product.
Stay away from engines from the white sheet,green sheet ad papers for replacement motors. I've never heard good stories coming from Pomona Ca.
:beer:

·
Supporting Member
4,470 Posts
Jegs has a free shipping on crate engines now. GM Crates are always a good choice.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious....What are peoples thoughts on Blueprint engines ? They have some nice sounding products,with some pretty good prices,any negative ,or Positive feedback ??

B

·
0 Posts
I have a GM Performance ZZ4 355HP from Pace in my T-bucket that I'm very happy with. I bought the turnkey and it has been great. It starts with a touch of the key and never overheats even in high 90s heat. Compression is 10.5 to 1, but runs good on 92 pump gas. It does have D port heads though. I just used round headers with no issues. They have aluminum heads and intake which helps with weight if that's important to you.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just curious....What are peoples thoughts on Blueprint engines ? They have some nice sounding products,with some pretty good prices,any negative ,or Positive feedback ??
Martin,

I don't know enough about Blueprint products to answer your question, but I know Summit Racing sells them and I would buy a crate motor from Summit in an instant. I have looked at their motors and they appear to have good components.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback guys,ive been looking at blueprint,and also the GMZZ4 355hp,Would the internals in the GMZZ4,be of a better quality than this..http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MLL-BP3550CTC1/..Im not keen on alloy heads,unless they are from a well known company,like patriot,dart,edelbrock etc...My problem is,im in australia,so therefore after the best(BUDGET) engine,as i dont want to have problems with it,as the warranty would mean,not alot at all...thanks guys !

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the zz4 is all new,forged crank not cast and roller cam versus cast crank and flat tappet cam.i would go the zz4 personally.i have a zzz crate engine that is over 15 years old with absolutly no problems except excessive rear tire wear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts