El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to figure out what to do about my 80 with the 454. It has a real bad knock in the lower end. A bad rod and or crank I guess. The heads were just reworked but the look to be stock. It has an Edelbrock hi-rise performer intake and carb.
I'm going to pull the motor and see what happened and how bad it is but dang it seems like I can get a long block for now much more than what it would cost just for the parts to redo the old one.
And then there always used?
Whats ya'lls thoughts and what the best price ya'll seen on both a complete or long block motor?
But I will be putting another 454 back in. The front end was just rebuild and it has plenty of travel without bottoming so I assume that someone put in a heavy set of springs to take the weight It sits level and LOOK like it should drive alright.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Donny

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
My thoughts....(like I really have any)

Depends on what you are going to do with the car

Keep it as a driver, Jegs long block

Keep it as a hot rod, Smeding 572 blower motor(ole wore out truck motor).

Sell it, good running junk yard engine.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should mention, ya'll know me, it would be a keeper untill I got enough for it. I'd like to say I'm building it for Belton next year however.....
But it would not go cheap after I repair, rebuild, or replace the motor. The more money I sell them for the longer it takes to sell.
I'm not saying
I won't keep it (at least until Belton) but I buy them and sell them. Thats just what I do, for fun
Donny

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
DDD i will out you in touch with mine and tims engine builder.
I swear you wont find a better deal. Just ask minorider tim:beer:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I say build it, if its a knock and even if you have to completely replace the crank and rods, which also means bearings, that is easy enough to do and not that expensive, certainly compared to the cheapest crate you can find.

I'd do a scat 9000 cast steel crank and matching rods, bearings of your choice - forged pistons and put it all together.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if its not one you are in love with,pull it apart. resize the rods wth good bolts, exchange the crank,get new pistons. have it balanced and it will be fine.be sure everything gets hot tanked to get all the metal out of the engine,you dont want to do it twice

·
Registered
119 Posts
if its not one you are in love with,pull it apart. resize the rods wth good bolts, exchange the crank,get new pistons. have it balanced and it will be fine.be sure everything gets hot tanked to get all the metal out of the engine,you dont want to do it twice
I mostly agree, pull it out, tear it down and check it out. If a simple enough rebuild and little or no machining are required, keep it. If you find a basket case, then find a great deal on a used motor and swap them. If you are just freshening it up to sell again then a crate isn't helping your investment really... A working motor from a wrecker yard or private sale is bound to be cheaper and then at worst you could slap on the 'new' heads from the current motor and maybe a ring job... a gasket set later and you're probably still out way cheaper than a crate... I'm assuming the work you do you do for fun, so I'm not counting any sort of 'time is money' factor in there.
:beer:
Good luck!

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
You all know I think weird, and here's an example....

Back in the early 80s, a good friends twin brother needed a 396 for his 71 camaro. He got one at the local speed shop (550HP) for just $450, cause the guy who had it built paid a litlle on it and then disappeared.

Check around and you may find a similar deal.

I would go with the long block if possible. Did you check Jasper? They have come a long way since the old days.

seeing as you're in dallas, you could always order a "hot" long block from your local mexican mafia representative!!

:texas:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I agree with fauxrs. You might not need to replace the whole thing. Find out whats wrong and fix THAT instead of replaceing the whole engine.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..here a quick fix,use a peice of leather as a "bering",They did this back in the old days..:poke:
:beer:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts