El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,028 Posts
I hope that wasn't Larry. We have never had the pleasure of seeing his Elky. He always brings the Aero Coupe.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Whoever it was, I hope they end up being okay. The article says they were airlifted to a hospital. Miami drivers are a special kind from what I've seen. Certainly glad I don't have to go down there often.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,620 Posts
here's the front end. anyone recognize it?

"An adult patient was extricated from the small truck and was airlifted to the west Ryder trauma center with traumatic injuries, FHP said. "

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,231 Posts
Whoever it was, I hope they end up being okay. The article says they were airlifted to a hospital. Miami drivers are a special kind from what I've seen. Certainly glad I don't have to go down there often.
Gosh , Now I feel much better driving in the area :oops:

·
Premium Member
1972 El Camino Custom, 350 V8, TH350 transmission, factory AC, front disc brakes.
26 Posts
Defensive driving in Miami requires a different attitude. You just can't get by expecting everyone to be a bad driver. Your attitude must be: "Everyone out here is trying to kill me."

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,608 Posts
My wife agrees with that. She hates driving down there. It definitely is a hectic drive. You must REALLY be on your toes.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,231 Posts
Driving in the Miami is something of an adventure . For some time I have not driven on Highway 27 which goes through the western side of South Florida , near the beautiful Everglades National Park . Too bad because it used to be a scenic , smaller highway that`s a non turnpike route along Florida`s west coast . We loved stopping at the fruit and vegetable stands in the farming areas . After they started to recognize the " people from Key West " , they would generously give us a good supply for our money . There are a number of factors including too many vehicles of all sizes , lots of foreign drivers , distracted tourists and aggressive local drivers to name just a few . Unfortunately , US 27 is not the only scary place to drive and an accident like this can happen on any other road . This time of year you best time it right or you can do the snarled in traffic shuffle that is especially painful for someone like me driving with a manual trans .

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Driving in the Miami is something of an adventure . For some time I have not driven on Highway 27 which goes through the western side of South Florida , near the beautiful Everglades National Park . Too bad because it used to be a scenic , smaller highway that`s a non turnpike route along Florida`s west coast . We loved stopping at the fruit and vegetable stands in the farming areas . After they started to recognize the " people from Key West " , they would generously give us a good supply for our money . There are a number of factors including too many vehicles of all sizes , lots of foreign drivers , distracted tourists and aggressive local drivers to name just a few . Unfortunately , US 27 is not the only scary place to drive and an accident like this can happen on any other road . This time of year you best time it right or you can do the snarled in traffic shuffle that is especially painful for someone like me driving with a manual trans .
I was born & raised in Miami 1945- 1978 & continued to work there until 1984 , don't ever want to go back , we drive I-95 to visit our daughter & grand daughter in Deerfield Beach , that's as far as we go south , 95 is OK until you get to Jupiter then it's real crazy traffic & drivers . That's why we moved north up here to the Melbourne area .to get away from that mess .

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,620 Posts
when I was searching for info on that accident, I found a ton of unrelated vehicle accidents on that same road. That is one dangerous stretch of pavement. Reminds me of Loop 1604 in San Antonio, circa 1982-84, aka The Death Loop. 52 people died in one year on a 20 mile stretch of road.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts