El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to cut my wires and crimp on the terminals this dist. isn't HEI CORRECT? 87 305 FACTORY 4B CARB. NOW 350 SAME DIST.
Thanks
Robert

'

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Yes and NO. It's an HEI distributor but you don't have the HEI terminals because your cap doesn't have the retainer ring that holds all the wires in place. Just use the regular ones but before installing check that the metal clip fits the terminals on the cap properly. They need to snap on good and tight.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
btw, be sure and clean those terminals on that dist cap before adding the new wires. those are pretty corroded! use steel wool and a twisting motion

:poke:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I was refering to the picture of the boot style with the tab for the HEI retainer ring.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
btw, be sure and clean those terminals on that dist cap before adding the new wires. those are pretty corroded! use steel wool and a twisting motion

:poke:

It's a new cap!!!!!!!!!!1 little dust from sitting a few weeks:poke:

O.k it has to be one or the other so should i use the clip that fits best? 99% of the time I have a 50/50 I pick the wrong one. Once I cut these wires there's no going back. I guess I will try online to get the info. Not that who's wrong or right but it looks 50/50 here and that's not worth wasting a new set of wires.

Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
back in the good old days they had brass connectors!

:dontknow:

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that distributer cap has the HEI style terminals..:texas:

The cap for sure has the HEI terminals the others don't fit. So i guess were cool.
Thanks

These fit perfect.

these are old school with the big round cover.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
0 Posts
Use the silver ones. A good way to experiment with your wires is to cut and take apart the old ones. the boots slide off easy and they you can see the terminals are crimped to the wire. I played with these before so its not hard at all. Just know,there's no turning back once the cut is made,so use a tape measure and write down your measurements everytime you cut.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Make sure you use a plug wire crimper, a regular crimper wont work.

Auto Zone sells them for about $25.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts