El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is pretty much here, now time to work out a few bugs. My Elky's cruise doesn't work, how would I go about finding which part of the system is fualty? The cruise system is out of an '84. I think I've got the vacuum hooked up properly, and all elec. connections are good, it just doesn't do anything when the button is pushed. At what points should power be at, at which settings?

·
1,867 Posts
Back in the day when mine worked, I would have to push the button in half way only for it to work. When it quit I figured what the heck, I hardly ever used it anyway. I did take it apart, cleaned it & put it back together. It worked a few more weeks. For me it wasn't worth the trouble. It's not a great design. Someone posted about theirs a while back. All I can say is good luck. 8)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cruise Control

Most of the time the problem is in the wire that runs down the column, especially if you have tilt steering. Moving the wheel up and down makes the wire weak at that particular point and finally breaks.A quick test to eliminate this being the problem is to find or borrow one from a friend that you know is good,and disconnect the cruise wire under the dash ,connect the kown good one in its place and just hang the control handle over yours, try it that way first before you run it thru your column.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cruise Control Tech Support

You are moving at speeds above 35 mph aren't you? Gotta ask the dumb question ... kinda like computer tech support "is the monitor plugged in"? :lol:

Jim

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
CHVYPWR said:
Winter is pretty much here, now time to work out a few bugs. My Elky's cruise doesn't work, how would I go about finding which part of the system is fualty? The cruise system is out of an '84. I think I've got the vacuum hooked up properly, and all elec. connections are good, it just doesn't do anything when the button is pushed. At what points should power be at, at which settings?
You said the system is "out of an '84'"
Is this a unit you removed from one car to install in another, and if so, what model are you installing it into? And, did you also get the module from underdash?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this a unit you removed from one car to install in another, and if so, what model are you installing it into? And, did you also get the module from underdash?
I got the entire system out of the '84, put it in my '78. I swapped in the whole interior and wiring harness. It's all there, just as it would be from the factory.

·
1,867 Posts
I hope the 84 system was better than the 78 system.

·
Registered
96 Posts
if you can find anyone who will loan you the tool. OTC makes a GM cruise tester. you plug it in where the control box goes then turn the key to the on position. it has lights for on, set, resume, brake, and both servo solinoids. if it passes those tests start the car and hold the resume and tap the set button a few times, the rpms should increase and hold every time you release the set button. if it fails then you might have a bad servo or vacumn dump switch. if it passes all tests the the control box could be the culprit. testing can be done with a test light, multi-meter and a schematic, but if your lucky enough to locate a criuse tester it would be a lot easier

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
CHVYPWR said:
I got the entire system out of the '84, put it in my '78. I swapped in the whole interior and wiring harness. It's all there, just as it would be from the factory.
Ok, I will post diagnostic procedures for you tonight or tomorrow...several pages worth.

·
Registered
80 Posts
aucath, i would appreciate the same for my 86. or send me an e-mail because i've already figured out if i can't get it working, guess who's going to greet you on your doorstep one day! lol. guess i'm lucky because i'm only about 250 miles from you. lol. thanks... bob

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
The procedures will be the same for your 86. I will post them sometime tomorrow since the info is at work.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
New cruise article posted on front page Here.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Thanks for the help. My cruise control hasn't worked since I replaced the computer carb with a Holley 600--I thought the computer was giving up because it had no carb to talk to...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cruise Control

I have an 84, but my cruise control works fine except that when connected it drains the battery. I have it disconnected now and wonder if there is a way to test if it is the servo or to just get a new one and hope for the best. I assume it could be wiring as well. Once the battery is dead and I am jump starting it - as soon as the jumper cables are connected the servo makes a clicking sound.
I did read through the article on the cruise control posted, but am not sure how to go about testing for the servo condition.

Thanks

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Servo isn't the problem. You should not have to power to the servo with the ignition off. If you have the ignition off, and connect the servo and it makes a clicking sound, something else is powering it up. I would suggest you first use a voltmeter to determine which wire is powering up with the key off and follow that circuit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts