El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruisin’ for a Cure

World’s Largest One Day Charity Car Show
Over 3,500 vehicles on display and over 200 vendors and exhibitors.

http://www.cruisinforacure.com/

Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015

In 2000, Debbie Baker with Ross Kroenert and a team of volunteers started Cruizin' for a Cure. Fifteen years of great Car Shows helping raise awareness and funds for Men's Health.​

About Prostate Cancer

Other than skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer in American men. Estimates for prostate cancer in the United States for 2015 are*:
  • About 220,800 new cases
  • About 27,540 deaths
  • About 1 man in 7 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime
  • About 6 in 10 cases are diagnosed in men aged 65 or older
  • About 1 in 38 men will die of prostate cancer
  • However, more than 2.9 million men in the United States who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer are still alive today.

THAT statistic is why we are here at Cruisin’ for a Cure.

A simple PSA test, while not the complete answer, will indicate if there is the possibility of a problem.

While you are at the Cruise, please visit the PSA testing center located in the Anaheim Building and take advantage of this free test. It is a simple, painless blood test.

This past year, over 1,000 men were tested at the Cruise. Of these, 140 were discovered to have an elevated PSA count of over 2.2 and were instructed to see their doctor for further testing. Over the past several years, over 10,000 men have been tested at the show and hundreds of lives have been saved.

For statistics related to survival, see the section on the American Cancer Society website on Survival rates for prostate cancer.*
*References:
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-key-statistics

THROUGH YOUR DONATIONS AND SUPPORT WE CAN HELP TO TREAT AND CURE PROSTATE CANCER. YOUR DONATIONS GO TO THE CITY OF HOPE CANCER RESEARCH PROGRAM. WE ARE SO GRATEFUL FOR ALL OF YOUR CONTINUED GENEROSITY!

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1959 thru 1987+ All are welcome

4th and 5th Gen El Camino and Sprint vehicles are encouraged.
This show is open to all years of manufactured vehicles.

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just 4 weeks before the event on Saturday Sept 26.
I am now pre-registered.

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two days to go until Saturday.

Although pre registration is closed, you can register at the gate.
You can also come and check out the 200 vendors and see the cars.

5 weeks ago, I received registration 1,970 for my 1970.
It will be interesting to see if they go over 3,500 entries.

It is going to be hot at the fair grounds, so hopefully I can park next to an ice cream vendor!

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
Can't make it this time I'm picking up a motor at Dale's.:bigups:

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the 16th Annual show for Cruisin For A Cure at the Orange County Fairgrounds.

Cruisin for a Cure is a 501C3. There are 3 other associated 501C3 staffed by Non Profit volunteers that hold shows and use the funds to benefit Men's Prostate Health. The funds raised are provided to qualified organizations locally by each organization.

So California http://www.cruisinforacure.com/
Long Island http://licruizinforacure.com/
Ft Worth CowTown http://www.cowtowncruisinforacure.org/
Brampton Canada http://pccnbrampton.ca/events/cruisin-cure-canada-9th-annual

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It was O'dark 30 (04:30 AM) and I pulled up to the fairgrounds.
I had temp gauge problems recently and wanted to keep idling down ... so got up early
I was met there by an experienced team of volunteers, some now volunteering for 16 years in a row. They had 12-15 lanes set up. This allowed them to handle something like 45 Vettes showing up in a caravan that strung out on the freeway. They could send them to three rows 15 deep. I was sent to one of the lone wolf rows and we shut off the engines. A volunteer came through the row checking us in and doing any "Gate Registrations". Once a row completed, they dropped a cone at the back. Each row emptied one at a time, keeping idling to a minimum.

Now.... If they can only figure out how to empty out as fast.

The volunteers were efficient. As the headlights came in and filled the areas.
The indoor custom (Meguiars), indoor stock and restomod, and indoor for sale and vendors all arrived Friday evening and were set up. By 07:00 they probably had more than 3,250 cars parked.

I didn't realize how large this show really is, until I started to walk it at 09:30 to visit the 200 vendors.
There is a 1 1/2 mile cruise route that most entrants would take there vehicles several laps on during the day. You could actually see more of your friends when one of you were cruising than walking the show. About 08:00 the headers started getting uncapped. It is worth making the cruise route to make sure you know where you want to visit during the day.

Thank goodness I bought the lightweight white cowboy hat the day before. That thing is staying in the El Camino for shows. I had a good time..... Wish you were there.

This Old Bear ... Thanks Debbie Baker, Ross and all Volunteers.

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Crusin For A Cure 1st and 2nd Gen

I know I must have missed half the El Camino/Sprints.
One of the Rx requires I don't get to much sun or it burns me bad.

I saw some nice 1st Gens and others making the cruise route, yet did not find them later.
I gave out over 25 NECOA cards, mostly to those Crusin' the route.

Here are some of the 1st and 2nd Gens I visited.
1-4 1959 fresh restore in the indoor For Sale room
5 1959 Split Personality, I will post by herself too
6-8 Sharon's beautiful red 1964
9-10 Black for sale 1964

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
3rd Gens

Some of the 3rd Gens
1-3 68 Butternut yellow, nice light reflecting material under hood and matched bed.
4-5 69 Black and clean
6 Bob's 1970 gold with looks like a pearl
7 Damian's red 71
8-10 Rudy's (orig owner) metallic grey 1970 with widened fenders (nice guy if you get a chance, talk to him for a while)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3rd and 5th gen

3rd Gen and 5th Gen
1-3 DW's 1971
I took 3 images before I realized this was not black. As you get closer you see what looks like a black cherry metallic, then move a touch and it looks like dark root beer metallic. This was a very clean car, yet to focus on the color shots, you can see that we got a nice 5-7 MPH wind that coated the cars and cooled us down in the mid 90's temps.

4-7 Brads very clean 1983.
This was a very nice 83, with a Gaylord bed cover. I think I will price the hood tie downs, as they looked much better than the origin on mine.

Brad and his family shared their shade with me during the middle afternoon. I would have burned with the RX I take and appreciate their friendship. Thanx.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Split Personality 1959 custom

OK. If you are a purist, don't whine. Just notice how well this is done

Split Personality
I've seen a few images online of this truck and was glad to see it in person.
At first it looks like a minor customization. Then you begin noticing more.
Then you notice more and more.

This started off as a 1959 El Camino.
18 inches were removed from the back.
18 inches of 1959 Impala were then added to the back.
The bed cover is made from 2 1959 Impala deck lids.
The fins are widened 4 inches on each side.
It has a 1960 Mercury grill well fitted to the front.
Wing windows removed.
Great interior

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
Nice sharing! :bigups:

·
Deputy National Director
2,185 Posts
Old Bear,

Nice photos of the show. Thanks for keep us informed about this event. Looks like some good participation. Did you see any current or new members?

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hopefully we will have some visitors from the 25 NECOA cards I handed out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts