El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,228 Posts
Since importing vehicles from the US was cut off in 1959, its highly doubtful. I searched high and low when I spent about 2 weeks there in 2010. No Elkys and did not find that other one I was looking for either...An Edsel. Did find a pic of the latter later on in a news piece while watching the changes going on between here and there.

And BTW...We don't have any members there to answer this thread either. We'll have to wait and see if internet restrictions change in the future too.

:beer:

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
Just read this thread,l was in Cuba last August and did not see an El Camino anywhere.

·
6,228 Posts
Just read this thread,l was in Cuba last August and did not see an El Camino anywhere.
Well that is 2 thorough searches now without a find! Hey Moose! There are a lot of some Russian made vehicles there that have a tail light a lot like a Chevy II. How many times did those catch your stare when looking around in traffic?

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
G'day Randy,how are you mate? Well I did notice a lot of Russian "humdingers" and let me tell you they should not be on the road haha. There were some great old cars and some that were ready for the crusher!
You going to Belton?

·
6,228 Posts
I'm tossing around both Belton and El Caminos on the River in Region 14. One of the 2 may be possible. Not both. Still have the debate going about Super Chevy here in FL towards the end of April too...:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I saw a PBS feature on classic cars in Cuba . They have a wonderful car club . Many of the restoration parts are homemade . I am reminded of two old sayings . ' a nice place to visit but I would not want to live there " and
(Political slogan removed) . spend you money here , go see the Grand canyon and Radiator Springs , travel Rte 66 .

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,144 Posts
Of all the photos I have seen on different sites , I have never seen a photo of an El Camino in Cuba either . As Randy said , 1959 was the year that Castro denounced the U.S. at the United Nations and things went south from there . I was fortunate as a 13 year old to be picked on an all star baseball team that went to Cuba in 59 . I think we were the last American group allowed . When we were in Havana we were told to absolutely " do not speak any English " . We initially stayed at a university but after some guys said they would beat us with bats they moved us to a nearby equestrian facility . Hey , they could have meant in a baseball game ? For 50 cents we could ride horses all day long through the open fields and the city streets , then we would play baseball in the afternoon . Here in the states we play according to your age . There , they had players in the tournament that were 17 years old as they did it by how good you were . The people treated us great . Hoping to go back again and check out the bird sanctuaries and the cars first hand .

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
It could be possible, my uncle had a coworker go to cuba a while back and he snapped a pic of a couple guys working on a 59 impala in the street... if they got 59 impalas maybe some el caminos made it through

·
Elkybuick
2,905 Posts
I'm going down to Cuba Next Month will take a picture if I find one.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,144 Posts
Any El Camino's in Cuba?
This old post by El Diablo caught my eye and I thought that I would comment for those that are interested . There is a hardcover book entitled " Cars Of Cuba -You Should See Before You Die " , with color photos and words by Kim Buddee , published by New Holland Press . The 285 pages contain some of the best photos and text I have seen on these cars and trucks . These time warp vehicles are a testament to the love and ingenuity that the Cuban people possess for these vehicles . Recent dismantling by the president of the ways that Americans could get to visit Cuba and see these historic vehicles has again made it almost impossible .Rtawk had a previous forum with some great photos of his previous visit there but I cannot find a link .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts