El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just ordered a GtechPro off of an ebay auction that had a TON of these things (the guy was selling around 120 of them) for $40.

On a Taurus forum (my friend owns one and saw the link for the auction on a thread there) they mentioned that it's nice to know your vehicle's weight.

Does anyone know the approximate weight of a big-block '69 El Camino? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you want to know your actual weight for your elkie take it down to any local truck stop that has a scale and pay the couple of bucks to get it weighed on a certified scale. I believe most of their scales are accurate to within 5-10lbs, and since they're certified it means they stay calibrated.

Sometimes bigger feedstores or grain silos have scales too, for weighing the trucks that come in and out. But your easiest find is a truck stop with a scale.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
A roadtest for a 1968 SS 396 El Camino lists the stated "curb weight" as 3760, and the "as tested" weight as 4080 lbs. This should be close enough for your '69.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Because of what you want the weight for, you really should go get the car weighed. Actually twice - once low on gas, the other full; so you know the full weight range. And have them weigh the car with you in it - or just be sure to add your own weight to the final number they give you to plug into your machine.

The Gtech Pro uses your vehicle weight to calculate your HP, that means that any error in your vehicle weight will give you misleading numbers.

For example, the smaller number of the weight readings given above is 8% less than the larger number. Let's say you have an engine pulling a true 350HP, if your car does weigh close to the 4080lb mark and you entered the 3760lb weight you'd show a 28HP drop in your number. If you did the converse and your car really weighed 3760 and you said it was 4080, your HP would be 28HP higher.

Then figure the Gtech Pro has a +/-3% error factor. That's already a 10HP swing for a 350HP motor.

All I'm trying to say is that for the calculations to be meaningful and anywhere near accurate, you're going to need a good weight to work from. It's computer basics: Garbage-In, Garbage-Out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts