El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Iv had buckets in my El Camino for years (as in about 3). Theyre a vast improvement over a bench! My only problem is lack of a center console. I dont have an arm rest, cup holder, ANYTHING in the middle of my car except a hump and a B&M. Some of you guys are crazy smart when it comes to fabbing up stuff and I wanna see some custom consoles to give me some inspiration! They can be from another car or somethin you built in your shop. Post em up! :beer: Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Visit your local auto salvage yard, look for either a 1980s Monte Carlo, Cutlass or Buick Regal. These cars are likely to have the stock center console. They might be broken or missing parts but they can be fixed. If you have a auto upholstery shop near you, they might be able to help. Buying from OPGI or the other suppliers is expensive. They sell each part seperate and charge a small fortune. :nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
A guy I know just picked up a console out of an 80 Citation X11.......looks GREAT!!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They actually named a car Citation lol. Thats what they shoulda nmed El Caminos! They cause plenty of em lol! Anyways, yea ill look into both of those

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
My wife's gma had an X-11 and she put 200k miles on that car. This was Cheys first real production foray into front wheel drive. This was built from 1980-1985.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Awesome......you still have the car?

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Hey guys! Iv had buckets in my El Camino for years (as in about 3). Theyre a vast improvement over a bench! My only problem is lack of a center console. I dont have an arm rest, cup holder, ANYTHING in the middle of my car except a hump and a B&M. Some of you guys are crazy smart when it comes to fabbing up stuff and I wanna see some custom consoles to give me some inspiration! They can be from another car or somethin you built in your shop. Post em up! :beer: Thanks!

Well, Donny's crazy and I'm smart, so I'll handle that part. Since I used buckets from an '01 Grand Am, I used the console from one too. (see links posted in interior restoration forum posts) I will be building one from scratch, but if you're going with something already made, that's a good place to start. Keeps it in the GM family too!

:beer:

(now let's see what DDD will contribute for the crazy part)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Honda console looks good in there.after glassing it'll look real good"

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Mine's a work in progress but I just built a box around the shifter and screwed it to the B&M frame. I got extra material from CraftTec and covered it in that. For cupholders I cut up a Pep Boys plastic console and
screwed it on the backside. I'm going to do an aluminum piece around the shifter hopefully soon ( haven't decided on design). Sorry no pics yet.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,081 Posts
I picked up an original 66 console for automatics in great shape from Ebay for only $150, damn sight better than the near $600 for the thing from OPGI or any of the other suppliers

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Awesome......you still have the car?
Unfortunatly, I do not have the car. Gma died at age 99 2 years ago and she stopped driving in 1997 because of her eyesight. She sold the car to my sister-in-law and she wrecked it. But, Gma did give me her 1972 Ford Galaxie 500.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Got a 64 Galaxie from my gma back in the day.........

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going the route with my console. I have decided grassing it or just wrap it with upholstery. I going to installan iPad in the same place you have the GPS cutout.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts