El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,792 Posts
I like them a lot. I’m a big fan of traditional customs (Kustoms?), and I also realize that today’s trends may become tomorrow’s traditions. That said, quality of work is important. I’ve seen some junk wheel installs snd hack mechanical work, but I’m sure there were some customs back in the day that were bondo and baling wire, too.
Patrick

· Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,733 Posts
Kustoms are cool, it's still recognizable as an Elky, but my feeling is is that if you are going to chop up/change/restore any old and somewhat rare (now) car, it better be done for good reason, and it better be done right. You don't trash a 63 split-window Vette and make it into a Funny car dragster, or cut up a 'Cuda convertible and make it into a Monster Truck.

Those 2 elkys pictured look to have some serious love and attention put into them, most likely the motors and chassis upgraded and strengthened, bodywork fixed right, those cars stand a better than average chance of being around in another 50+ years for the owners great-great-grand kids to drool over.

To me, that's a really good reason to do what they've done, and I can get behind that idea.

· Registered
1960 454ci th400 61cad int. & pwr options
159 Posts
The mods on the green 1960 appear to be from a 59 Pontiac and look right at home. I especially like the tail lights and have been searching for a set myself. The air duct in the rear quarters are the only major change that could not easily be undone.

· Registered
'64 El Camino
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The grill on the green ‘60 is actually off of a ‘60 Mercury Monterey. I believe they fit with very little modification.
That grill was used often on ‘59-60 El Caminos

1 - 19 of 19 Posts