El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i read a previous thread completely denying why this would be a bad idea. i did it... Completely enclosed sub box. CUSTOM. in bed of my '87 El camino. I made box with proposed speaker specs. give me some feed back. On the previous thread, nobody thought it was a good idea.. -btw, i use a two piece tonneau cover. with about 2 feet of it riveted and sealed into place on top of box (which is how it is leak proof)

and yes. im only 17, get over it.

photos will be in replies to this thread

feedback plz..

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,530 Posts
Box looks like you put it together well. As long as your cover seals up good, you shouldn't have any problems. I just hope you have a way to lock it.

·
Supporting Member
749 Posts
Well, here is some "feed back".
If you have a Hearing problem...sorry...if no problem hearing...
what's up with all the speakers? They are not even inside the vehicle where you can enjoy them!:dontknow:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, here is some "feed back".
If you have a Hearing problem...sorry...if no problem hearing...
what's up with all the speakers? They are not even inside the vehicle where you can enjoy them!:dontknow:
its designed to be a tailgater. you are not supposed to be able to hear inside, but only when its popped up, like sitting in a car show. i will upload pictures of hotswitch, (which controls when subs are off(while driving) or on(while tailgating))

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
switch

here is the hotswitch, hooked up to relay behind dash, green light goes on when subs playin, off when they not.

·
Deputy Director Region 5
1,879 Posts
Looks like nice work!! Do what you want to too your El Camino is yours!! Who cares what anybody else says.....Keep those photo's coming!!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Too each is own, not my style. I have mine built into the back wall with the kit from Dixie Monte Carlo depot

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I agree with Tony, too each his own and while that mod is not my style I have learned that you never know so much that you can't get inspiration from someone elses idea and who knows maybe the next big fad.

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
Check these out

Personally I wouldn't waste money on a awesome sound system for show/tailgating, it's a rare occurrence for when you will actually use it, and when you tailgate carry some jumper cable just in case, there's nothing worse than the rookies that tailgate with their music blasting and kill the battery with no cables to get a jump lol

But anyways it's a good idea that you are using it for outdoor use only for when your out of the car

Besides that I'd make sure it's leak proof... Test it with the car pointing up, then test it again with the car pointing down, last thing you want is to ruin the components by getting them wet and make sure all the wiring is accessible and not a hassle to get to for when you have to replace or rewire things in the future. Nice work tho it looks like a clean install, and lock your cover somehow lol don't wanna get jacked

·
Registered
917 Posts
Looks cool; I used to have that same cover on my 79. Now it's in the garage next to my '85. Most car shows have music already pumping out from the registration area. If you built it for football tailgating, be sure to get one of thise trailer hitch BBQ's too.

As for me, I'm just going with two 6.5in components, two 6.5in 2ways, one 10in sub hidden in the smugglers box and two amps under the back window. All are Pioneer just like the 2DIN head unit. Just needs to be louder than the engine noise on my way to the shows.

And don't worry about being only 17, you'll grow out of it.:poke:

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Looks pretty good to me, just tell some of the more seasoned folks "If it's too loud you're too old"
Like harris5898 said it's your Elky build it the way you want it. Unless someone else wants to pay the bill. About being 17 ya want to trade??? :poke:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Barbeque grill is missing and when you turn 21, add a keg cooler. Really though, other than tailgate parties, I can't see much use for it, unless you want to become an outdoor DJ. One suggestion, add a second battery for the system, that won't drain the cars battery, check for a kit made for RVs. Have fun with it, your young.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i thin i tooks kinda cool but couple of questions can you hear it from the inside while your driving and did you mske the tonneau cover and whats up with the box i mean how did u make it

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that picture you quoted, is riveted and sealed into place against back wall.
Sealant all around end, against window and on sides.

for rest of tonnaeu cover, i went to menards, and bought the pick up - cover foam padding. and lined the cover with it.

the actual cover that comes on and off(not in that picture) overlaps that top piece. end of cover locks to tailgate.

completely water proof, carwash proven. :nanawrench:

-James

·
Registered
30 Posts
looks good but does it actually hit hard? i think we are doing something like this to my friends truck, a ram 3500 but we are cutting the back wall out and making a metal cover to go over the box and the bed cover

1 - 20 of 22 Posts