El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lotsa cut and dangling wires under the hood. I can place most of them using the wiring diagrams I have but, this one has me stumped. It looks like they went to 'something' under the hood but that 'something' was removed. I hate when people chop off wires and leave them lying around.

Car details: 68, 307, Non A/C.

Pict has details:

· Registered
4,812 Posts
Light green is used for the temp sensor.

That might be one of them.

· Premium Member
6,132 Posts
If the car was an original manual shift car those went to the backup lights.

· Registered
1966 El Camino
2,294 Posts
are you sure those aren't for the horns? chev usually used green to wire the horns.
True but the green wires would come off the horn relay near the core support.

If the car was an original manual shift car those went to the backup lights.
The rear lighting harness connects to a strip that goes under the carpet to the rear of the car, unless these wires went to the transmission switch, so it could be that.

Light green is used for the temp sensor.
also very true and was my first guess however, I think that wire is part of the engine wiring harness and connects at the bulkhead fitting and deosnt go through the firewall on its own. Does the car have any aftermarket gauges? these might not be factory wires to begin with.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the car have any aftermarket gauges? these might not be factory wires to begin with.
No after market gauges.

Light green is used for the temp sensor
fauxrs is correct, the temp sensor comes off the wiring harness and is accounted for.

These two wires come out of what appears to be a factory rubber grommet coming through the firewall. On the inside of the car, I can see that the wires end up somewhere just above the steering column. Don't know if they go to the steering column or somewhere on the dash.

The car does have a B&M shifter that the PO replaced the original floor shifter with. There are no wires coming off of it so no backup / neutral warning.

Horn wires are accounted for already.

· Premium Member
718 Posts
my old book is showing a "idle stop" used on a 6 cylinder cant tell if the wires are light green or yellow. although it states the green was for horn and for temp. and light green was for headlamp

· Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Tie the two together and turn the key on and see if the backup lights don't come on or have power to the sockets. I'd almost bet a :beer: on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.