El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To swap an 85 cutlass supreme header panel onto a 5th gen El Camino looks like a pretty straight forward attack. I've noticed only a couple obstacles that could get in the way on this.

The Cutlass Supreme fender fronts go straight down, while the El Camino tapers back. So I guess a small triangular spot will be left open there when putting on the Cutlass Supreme header panel. This can probably have a small fiberglass piece fabricated to fill it in.

El Camino houses the turn signals in the header panel, while Cutlass Supreme puts them in the bumper. For now the intent is to just extend the El Camino bumper out so it lines up with the Cutlass header panel. No thoughts yet on what to do about the turn signals.

Are there any other "gotchas" to look out for here? How about the front of the hood? Would there be any interference problems there?

BTW, budget project using a gifted header panel. Trying to avoid the need to swap bumper, fenders, and hood!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Unless your heart is set on this swap, i.e. you want an Olds cruck, I would hunt 'til I found a Malibu/Camino panel and sell the Cutlass piece. That can't be that hard or expensive to find. Less difficult than what you're proposing, at least.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I would bet the hood is different as well,, I was thinkin` what would I do??? Most likely change the doors, the front that meets the fender is different, the rear curve of the door is the same or close to it,, I think,,, In have both doors at home I can try to eye ball it and see,,, the front fenders will bolt up with maybe a little mod,,, the only thing that might be different is the contore of the doors,, I think its a big pain,, but it can be done,,,,,Matty man

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
The header to hood is definately different. The cutty has a recessed center to the hood/header.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
As somone who has done fascia swaps, I can say that there are more obstacles than most realize. I can also say that if you have skills & want something different-- where there's a will, there,s a way & the payoff can be cool.
Planning is crutial here, but you do have options.I forget how much of the cutlass fascia is fiberglass & how much is urethane, wife used to have one . think the upper is all fiberglass.
You could(gradually) trim off part of the front of the fascia of your chevy & part of the rear of the olds & graft them together. I,d severely grind down the outsides of each & epoxy together in a few spots, then skin over a large area with fiberglass mat & preferably epoxy resin. A large skinned over area will help avoid shadowing later.Then grind the insides of the bonded area to a taper at the joint & lay mat & resin on the inside surfaces. Then bodywork outside to perfection.
The bumper mounting areas of each vehicle should be similar.(I used part of a regal inner bumper on my camaro nose project. Not sure wnat other obstacles you could have on the lower section. I also cut the factory fender flange lower section to recontour the outer metal & glued in a new flange.
If you're serious about doing this ,I'll help from the comfort of my chair. Here's a couple pics for inspiration. They said it wouldn't line up.:dontknow:.Pessimists.

·
Registered
532 Posts
fifth gen might be a lot of work,i helped a buddy builda 75 camino with a 77 cutlass front clip. on a fourth gen you can just change the doors and the whole front clip will swap over(have to use the glass from the elky) maybe fifth gen will be a similar swap

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would bet the hood is different as well
This is the junction point that I'm most concerned about. The Cutlass Supreme header panel is alot "thicker" than the Elcy one though, so should be plenty of material to bore out to make the Elcy hood fit!

Most likely change the doors, the front that meets the fender is different
I intend to keep my Elcy fenders if possible. I think that utilizing the Elcy fenders will just give me a little bit of a gap towards the bottom. The top should mate up with the Cutlass Supreme header panel fine I "think", but the bottom will slope away from the header panel, leaving a small triangular area that I will need to fill in.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Did my nose conversion before I started getting online & joined here last may.Didn,t really log notes about it, It,s far more trouble than anyone with commom sense would want to do anyways. Working with thermo elastomeric olefin plastic makes fiberglass work seem EASY by comparison.:Eyecrazy: And the headlight assemblies I handmade ,since the 2010 projector /halo assemblies retail for over $800 each plus harness for connectors.

For your header panel, I still think splicing the main front portion of the cutlass panel to the rear approx 2" and flange area of the el camino header panel would be the way to go. Differences in curvature, mainly in the upper section, can be transitioned smooth in bodyworking the header panel between the new & the old.

·
2,566 Posts
Why not just use the cutty hood? Too simple?

·
2,566 Posts
So trying to make everything fit is cheaper than the hood? Really?!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts