El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my project starts tomorrow, will be chopping about 4 inches from each bumper, and then tucking them.. my 73 will soon have its own look....will post images of process..

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is the start, I measured and found 1.5 inches was about what i needed to remove. So I marked and placed tape.

I then tested my cutter and it seems to work...will continue tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
should give her a nice tight look

·
Registered
406 Posts
I cut 5" out of the front of my 83. and pushed it back as far as I could. I also cut some off the side i forget how much.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This process will make the bumpers ride closer on the sides and then I will tuck the bumper in removing that ugly bench look bumper. Just like dirtpoor did, only thing on our 4gen they look fugly....I looked at all the contours of the bumper and this is the only place that they will have no affect on countours with body. Will just have to drill the hole for the bolt but no big problem. I am using my trusty grinder with a metal cutting disc and will start using my air cutter. Would of been nice if my plasma cutter was with me....more pics to come.

·
Site Contributor Participating Member
561 Posts
Looking good! Being a "bumper guy" myself, I love to see ones getting modified :smileyb:

Just a thought -How about instead of drilling mounting holes weld some studs on the inside for mounting.
Really make that sucker smooth!

Keep us posted w/pics!

·
Registered
571 Posts
dirtpoor:
what did you do to the bumper shock absorbers.....drill and compress ,than weld them in shorter ??
I'm looking to do the same to my 80 , but the absorbers hold it out 3 + inches.

·
Registered
406 Posts
dirtpoor:
what did you do to the bumper shock absorbers.....drill and compress ,than weld them in shorter ??
I'm looking to do the same to my 80 , but the absorbers hold it out 3 + inches.

Had the truck came with the shocks that's what i would have done.
But i made my own . Drilling and welding would have been much easier

·
Site Contributor Participating Member
561 Posts
I picked up two clean front bumpers and one cherry rear bumper, along with a good grille the other day - $120 for all of it. All without rubber/plastic trim. Gonna be time to fire up the plasma cutter soon! :smileyb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts