El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a third brake light on the rear window inside the cab of my 86 El Camino. I would like to see some pictures of how to mount and preferably the LED strip light system. I will hard wire into the brake lights under the carpet. Appreciate any response on this. Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I wish I could find the pics from my 81 (sold her 5 years ago). I installed an overhead center console from a Blazer and the back was open in the rear window. I installed LED strips that I cut to fit in the opening, width about 5". The red light shined thru the top edge of the rear window.

Jerry

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cyclops brake light

Thanks for the return. Sounds like a good looking install. I'm trying to keep the original look of the truck. Just trying to make it safer and get texter's attention. Everyone (4) in my immediate family have neck problems because of being rear-ended or sandwiched between cars. All different accidents too.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
There are several aftermarket LED systems. Most want you to mount them to the bumper or below the tailgate which defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Have you considered using one of those LED strips and installing it along the top of the rear window on the inside using clear double sided tape?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Tbl

Many others have used this common GM LED high mount third brake light.

OEM Third Light.jpg

I disassembled one and made a custom PVC plastic case painted to match to fit inside on my window molding for a sleeker inconspicuous look. The wiring is all hidden inside the moldings.
Third brake Light (7).jpg
Third brake Light (1).jpg
TBL Active.png

·
Registered
515 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
That looks good. can you use it as it comes ? How did you make the
one in your car looks a little thinner. Good job also big help for
safety.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the ideas. I know it will be LEDs, but what kind of housing and how long. Yesterday I went to a swap meet in Springfield and found some LED strips. 2 for $5.00. For a fast mount to get on the road I used some clear plastic corner protector left over from the house. It measures 1/2"x1/2". I cut 11" off and rounded the corners. Drilled a hole in the middle of one side and removed all of the glue from the surfaces of the strip with goo gone then used alcohol for final clean up. Mounting one of the Led strips to the surface opposite the side with the drilled hole. Screwed the piece to the screw in the molding behind the dome light. Ran the wiring thru the window and side moldings down thru the floor wire run to under the dash to the brake switch. Works great and you can hardly see it inside. Only a 1/2" hangs down but is hidden behind the dome light. And how cheap can you go? Anyway, still hoping to see more ideas. I would post a picture but I'm a dinosaur on computer stuff. So, I hope the description helps if anybody wants to go this route. Hope all have a safe weekend. Dave

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my 86 I mounted the LED strip on the top center moulding screw and ran the wires inside the moulding to the wiring conduit on the driver side rocker panel to the brake pedal switch. There are 3 wires, one white, one orange and one blue. On the Monte Carlo wiring harness it shows that the blue wire is for the "High Level Brake Light". This is in the 86 shop manual.
Thanks for all the ideas and pictures, Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts