El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It all depends on what you want. What's the problem with the current heads? If you want new valves and springs and seals, it's not a lot of money, but if they need machine work, it can get pricey fast. You can get new heads for less than $500. You can get new Vortec heads for about $600-700. You can get performance Vortec heads for less than $1000. And the newest Car Craft magazine has an article comparing a number of heads for less than $1000.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The problem with rebuilding heads is that the integral valve guides have to be bored out, and new guides installed most of the time, on high mileage heads. That can be expensive.
I've done it myself on a Bridgeport mill, and have had it done at a machine shop. New heads wont be much more than having the old ones rebuilt, and newer heads will likely have better characteristics than the old stuff.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
If you are trying to get performance out of a 305...you could spend you money better by changing the rear gear and then putting in an overdrive transmission... there is nothing really wrong with the 305 but making it make decent power is expensive but a simple gear change and transmission can make it feel like you added a second motor. I put a 3.42 gear and a th2004r in my 83 ---it is by no means a drag machine yet but it is now very respectable to drive around at least ---it was a total dog before, and I have 510 inches of fire breathing engine in the works for it now.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The problem with rebuilding heads is that the integral valve guides have to be bored out, and new guides installed most of the time, on high mileage heads. That can be expensive.
I've done it myself on a Bridgeport mill, and have had it done at a machine shop. New heads wont be much more than having the old ones rebuilt, and newer heads will likely have better characteristics than the old stuff.
A lot of machine shops, and this is my preferred method for stock type street engines, they hone the factory guides to accept new valves with .005 or larger stems. This way you retain the cast iron guides for the street, they last longer.
In the long run a 350 swap is your best money spent.:texas:

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you are trying to get performance out of a 305...you could spend you money better by changing the rear gear and then putting in an overdrive transmission... there is nothing really wrong with the 305 but making it make decent power is expensive but a simple gear change and transmission can make it feel like you added a second motor. I put a 3.42 gear and a th2004r in my 83 ---it is by no means a drag machine yet but it is now very respectable to drive around at least ---it was a total dog before, and I have 510 inches of fire breathing engine in the works for it now.
Consider what he said ^

Some of those 80's Elco's came with horrible rear gear ratios. Put a set of 3.73's in that thing and you'll think you picked up a 100hp. Do you know what kind of gears you currently have?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only one problem with that is i have the 267..... its so slow

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
If it was me,, I would not waste my $$ on a 267,, the h.p,.is only 98!,, less than 100 h.p.!! I rebuilt engines for 10 yeras at NAPA machine shop,, the intake and exhaust valves are almost the same size on the 267!! If you are not restoring the cruck,, then here is what I would do,, find a HO 305 or a 350 and rebuild it or buy a crate motor,, if $$ is an issue, and it is for me as well, find a good core and rebuild it a little at a time,,but dont waste your $$ on a 267 IMO,, Matty man

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I have 3 355`s sitting on the floor ready to go!! I have 307 as well,, I love the 307`s,, its a good motor, no power house but runs very well,, I have a pair of 305 heads for the 307 and put a small cam in her and have a "good" running pepe motor,, thats a winter project I hope,, check craigs list or get with other members to see if they have a good donor/motor,, Matty man

1 - 12 of 12 Posts