El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Venerated Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mornin' All,

Da Queen and I rolled back into the garage last night shortly before midnight. Unfortunately, she was dripping and panting like a freshly run thoroughbred...and I put her away wet. Judging by the fresh "rust proofing" I have applied over the last week...it has become painfully clear that the motor is on it's final laps.

I thought I had put a temporary closure on these leaks...for at least long enough to make the Pismo run...and that may still hold true. Just means I'll be packing almost as much oil as beer. I will be out in the garage making another attempt at 'plugging the dyke' this afternoon, but the proverbial writing is on the wall.

Tranny Mike will definitely be perterbed to learn his freshly rebuilt T350 now wears a shiney fresh coat of 30 wt., but he will no doubt be happy to know that none of her fresh glistening topcoat is transmission fluid...Oh, and the speedo shows signs of full ressurection...(held steady the whole trip up to Roseville and back)

So...long story short, I will be purchasing a new Long block and any remaining vacation time this year will be applied to the installation thereof.

The "upside" to all this you ask? Aside from the renewed lifespan of Da Queen after this heart transplant...I will still be doing the Pismo run...enjoying the comraderie of fellow Elky owners...gleaning many tips and welcomed advice from each and every one of these new found 'friends'.

Be seeing you.... Chris:beer:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
how refreshing to see a 3rd gen owner NOT whining about the cost of fixing his elkie.

oh yeah! he's from taxifornia, not texas

:dontknow:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
cry babies are not allowed in texas just so ya know
we all hurt when we pry out those hard earned $$$$ from our wallets and bank accounts

botttom line is we love our trucks and fixing them we just need to vent a little every now and then
so out to the garage we go in search of our newest thing to fix....:beer:

·
Venerated Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Da Queen's Legacy (and funding) :)

Short story worthy of note...I would trade most anything to NOT be in this situation...Da Queen is so-named after my recently departed Sister. She passed in late February from as-yet unknown causes...

But her nickname and Love shall live on...(any of you remember the Jerry Van Dyke series "My Mother The Car"...1928 Porter is memory serves...Well, just changin up the lyrics a bit.."My Sister The Car")...and true to form, she was and is (and shall be) as strong and sturdy as any woman you could hope to meet...with the Joi de vivre of the most boisterous Clamper you have ever met....but I digress....:beer:

The funds for this project were bequeathed to me thru her Estate...and since she had been helping me source El Caminos for potential resto candidates...Well, when this Blue 72 showed up in a lot up in Sacramento...I knew immediately this was meant to be.

Kalifornia can legislate to spend Hundreds of Billions to build this Bullet Train to Nowhere...all the while our kids go without...I figure the thousands this project will run me is a mere pittance in the Grand Scheme of Life.

My girls bought me a new Smart phone yesterday...guess I should go put it to use documenting what I can.

Nascar race is about to begin...better get a move on...

Thanks for your support....:You_Rock:

Chris

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
Chris,

Did you determine where the oil is leaking? Is it a main seal or perhaps the pan gasket? Where you able to get it slowed down?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
How's the PCV system? Don't forget the basics.
:beer:

·
Venerated Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slowed down...it's all relative

But yes...the flow is slowed...I am just not comfortable with losing...not burning...a quart per tankful of fuel. When I first picked her up, the whole block and engine compartment...along with all the passenger side of the suspension and frame...as well as the trans and crossmember...were layered with .375" of wet but solid sludge...from the heads down. None of the top end seems to be too bad...(aside from the dizzy that had almost .75" play in the shaft)...long since replaced with the Street Fire MSD

After cleaning all that off and attempting a "in car pan gasket repair" (always feeble, but better than none), as well as the timing cover and front seal...(replace leaking water pump at this point..switch to electric fans from the blackened clutch fan and broken shroud).

All that aside...she deserves the motor...and I deserve to do it right. These attempts to "just keep her rollin' " seem all so foolhearty. After the Pismo run I will move one of the other vehicles up to the lot at work and convert the garage back to full on 'shop mode'.

In the meantime, it will be a fun couple of weeks tho:beer:

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts