El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been looking at upgrading my gauges being my only working gauges currently are oil pres. and tach. I've been looking at getting the digital replacements from Dakota digital and was wondering if anyone is using them or has used them and what you all think of them. Is it worth the $700?

·
Registered
266 Posts
not yet, but i decided when i get around to putting my interior back in it's going to be dakota digital.
i have heard nothing but good things about them. supposed to have great after sale service. i've spoken with them twice about my build anf they were happy to talk even though i made it clear i wasn't quite ready to purchase.
heres the link to what im using.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=424/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd181.htm

and here's the link to what you will need.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=424/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd200.htm

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Dakota

I Have The Dakota Digital In Nicks El, And It Works Very Well. It Can Give You 1/4 Mile Times & And I Can Go In And Check Nicks Last Highest Speed. But I'am Thinking On Changing It Out With Dakotas Newest Ones That Look Like Gages

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I been looking at upgrading my gauges being my only working gauges currently are oil pres. and tach. I've been looking at getting the digital replacements from Dakota digital and was wondering if anyone is using them or has used them and what you all think of them. Is it worth the $700?

Best thing I bought for the Elco it was $700.00 8 years ago and I do a lot of dirt road driving bouncing around and not a glitch yet.!!!!!

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I Have The Dakota Digital In Nicks El, And It Works Very Well. It Can Give You 1/4 Mile Times & And I Can Go In And Check Nicks Last Highest Speed. But I'am Thinking On Changing It Out With Dakotas Newest Ones That Look Like Gages

I saw the gauge ones with the blue led's it was sweet!!!!!!

·
Deputy Director, Region 14
174 Posts
I have them in my '70. Very easy to get set up. It was the easy way for me to solve the speedometer issue. (electronic) I bought the module for the clock, and it is the only part I am unhappy with. It doesn't keep time very well, and its a pain in the butt to reset.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I have them in my '70. Very easy to get set up. It was the easy way for me to solve the speedometer issue. (electronic) I bought the module for the clock, and it is the only part I am unhappy with. It doesn't keep time very well, and its a pain in the butt to reset.

This is sweet.. If it was a plug and play with my digital Dakota I would buy it in a heart beat.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...?topic=21990.0

·
Registered
229 Posts
I installed the blue lit unit with analog style face and was impressed how easy it was. Totally satisfied. Am considering the same upgrade for the 69 Firebird conv I bought this summer if Dakota has it for that cor.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I installed the blue lit unit with analog style face and was impressed how easy it was. Totally satisfied. Am considering the same upgrade for the 69 Firebird conv I bought this summer if Dakota has it for that cor.

Now with the analog do you need a speedo. cable ?????

·
Registered
397 Posts
I installed them on a 72 Custom that I cloned about 5 years ago. It took me several tries to get the shifter linkage on the TH-350 aligned so that it registered properly on the digital readout. Bang for the buck, I think this was one of the best investments I ever made. I love the look and reliablility and the digital readouts are especially impressive and easy to read at night. It did take me awhile to adjust to the relocation of the signal indicators, I kept looking at the arrows on the SS dash at first. Nothing bad to say about Dakota! :rolleyes2:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I installed them on a 72 Custom that I cloned about 5 years ago. It took me several tries to get the shifter linkage on the TH-350 aligned so that it registered properly on the digital readout. Bang for the buck, I think this was one of the best investments I ever made. I love the look and reliablility and the digital readouts are especially impressive and easy to read at night. It did take me awhile to adjust to the relocation of the signal indicators, I kept looking at the arrows on the SS dash at first. Nothing bad to say about Dakota! :rolleyes2:

I STILL CAN'T GET MINE TO READ CORRECT I THINK THE ONLY WAY IS TO DRILL AND PUT ANOTHER BOLT AND jb WELD IT.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I got them in my 59
They work great

BUT---you have to know upfront that they are very sensitive to voltage drops and bad grounds.
A voltage drop or iffy ground will make the temps read high and the oil pressure read low---might also affect the fuel gage, but I'm not sure----car says it's thirsty---I give it a drink.

These have been in the car since before 2006.
My brother has a set in his 46 Ford Coupe and they have been trouble free for
a bit over 20 years.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I got them in my 59
They work great

BUT---you have to know upfront that they are very sensitive to voltage drops and bad grounds.
A voltage drop or iffy ground will make the temps read high and the oil pressure read low---might also affect the fuel gage, but I'm not sure----car says it's thirsty---I give it a drink.
[url]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/Bryan59EC/ElCamino/590169.jpg[/URL]

These have been in the car since before 2006.
My brother has a set in his 46 Ford Coupe and they have been trouble free for
a bit over 20 years.

My fuel shows 99 for a while then it drops like a bomb I never let it get below 18 I ran out once not paying attention but it was a block away from home. but no elect. problems yet!!!:sleepy:

I didn't put mine in but the lights are clear and the plastic cover is tinted correct???????

·
Registered
229 Posts
My fuel shows 99 for a while then it drops like a bomb I never let it get below 18 I ran out once not paying attention but it was a block away from home. but no elect. problems yet!!!:sleepy:

I didn't put mine in but the lights are clear and the plastic cover is tinted correct???????
I have not had any deficiencies in any readouts as of this date. As for fuel, the unit calibrated with the sending unit as per inst instructions and gives me a remaining % indication when it gets down below 1/4. I thought there was a temp problem initially but after checking with an infra red thermometer found the fault was thermostat. Since then everything is as its supposed to be. The only minor thing is that the analog speedo is in miles only where the digital has both.
Here in Canada everything is in KMs but the unit has a digital readout in the bottom of the tach area. Not a problem for an old guy like me who was learnt on the old cars but my kids can't remember that 100 KPH is 58 MPH.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I have not had any deficiencies in any readouts as of this date. As for fuel, the unit calibrated with the sending unit as per inst instructions and gives me a remaining % indication when it gets down below 1/4. I thought there was a temp problem initially but after checking with an infra red thermometer found the fault was thermostat. Since then everything is as its supposed to be. The only minor thing is that the analog speedo is in miles only where the digital has both.
Here in Canada everything is in KMs but the unit has a digital readout in the bottom of the tach area. Not a problem for an old guy like me who was learnt on the old cars but my kids can't remember that 100 KPH is 58 MPH.
I'm surprised they didn't do it in both most gauges are. Do they look as nice as the picture I posted above??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts