El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from the Corvette 50th Anniv. Celebration in Nashville/Bowling Green.

While I was gone a good friend, who knew I was wanting a '59 Elky project, found this basket case for me. The price is very "right" and it comes with two extra doors, an extra hood and an extra tailgate. The "smuggler's box" is rusted out and the driver's side fender spear is missing, but as you can see from the pics, the body panels are really decent. It has no motor or trans.

http://www.necoa.org/modules.php?set_albumName=albun21&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Please be on the lookout for the driver's side fender spear, and perhaps the bed top trim pieces. If it will quit raining, I'll go get it this weekend.
Thanks for any assistance.
-dan

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Dan,

It looks like someone else's project, was that guy working on it then just gave up? That amazes me. Spend money, in some cases a bunch and than just quit and sell it all generally at a loss. Oh well his loss your gain! :D

Congrats. Actually wasn't it June 30th that "Officially" the first vette was produced?

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like that grill treatment. I'm gonna' keep the exterior mostly stock. I just returned from taking more pictures of it and looking at the parts he has that go with the '59. Two grills, fair to good shape, and a new billet grill. It needs the taillight lens. The main part of the taillight lens has a hole in both sides. One the size of a dime, the other the size of a half dollar.
Bed floor is the roughest part of the project. The interior has "glass resin" applied to all the floor pan area. Windshield and rear glass are good. He's put a Camaro front disk brake setup in place. It came with almost all the trim.

It's got the three piece front bumper, I believe some folks call it the California bumper. It needs a bumper shop to restore it. It's "torn" in a couple of places. Got a number of extra parts. Hood, doors, tailgate. Fair shape on the extra parts. Like I previously said, no motor and trans.

I've had the hots now, for some time, to own the first and last year's of the El Camino.

ElkyPete: Yep, first Corvette came off the line on June 30, 1953. The National Corvette Museum had a "cake cutting" on Monday, June 30th. They also gave away a special 2003 Z06E "Earnhart Enterprises" edition. I didn't win that sucker.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts