El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys
I will be installing a full face dash cap in our Elk, anybody out there that has done that, got the shirt and can share some helpful hints?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I have a cap in the 76 I am well pleased with. Yes it came with a tube of silicone to help hold it in place. The instructions say you don't have to remove the dash but... I don't want to have to fiddle with the darn thing if I ever needed to remove the dash, which I ended up doing this year, so I took the dash out and used a heat gun to help contour the defroster vents so that I could line the holes for the screws that go into the firewall and hold the dash front in place.

I have a half cap for the 80 project I wasn't all that happy with the way the cap for the 5th gens looked when I got it but now... they make a full cap so I'll probably correct that before I put the interior back in it. The full caps you really can't tell, in my opinion, that it is a cap, I've seen one or two installed. One was a really good job and the other was not bad but not as good as the first one. So I guess it depends on your creativity or patients or skill or something like that.

Then again they could have been from two different vendors also.

FWIW :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a crap shoot. Wish I could afford a new one. My son got
one on EBAY ($161) but the rat backed out of the deal. Anyway my
son and I are pretty good at getting things to fit and at this point there
is no turning back. I will take some photos of the finished job.
Thanks for the help guys. I really like this site.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Where did you get your cap? I'm contemplating the same install. Will be nterested in seeing/hearing about your experiences.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.autoupholsterykits.com
This is where I ordered the dash from. I have yet to place it on the dash
but just placing it on, it seems to fit very good. I got the full face model
#250.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts