El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there is any type of chrome paint for redoing the little skinny trim edges and lettering on the dash, radio/heater bezel etc.? I've heard there is something in a pen form for this job, but have'nt been able to locate any. Micheals crafts was suggested to me, but they didn't have it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
trim tape

I've heard of this chrome tape and I'm wondering if there are different brands and which one is better. Are they just stick on or do they require heat?

·
1,867 Posts
Any hobby store should have the pens. I have seen them at Walmart in the toy section where they sell models.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've used the pens for years and never had any problem of dulling, etc., any more than any high metallic spray paint. The one I have is :Fine Line Liquid Silver Opaque Paint Marker distributed by Uchida of America, Corp. Naturally, its made in Japan. A friend of mine got one at WalMart and I got this one at a hobby store.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Chrome paint for dash letters and edges

What I did on my 68 El Camino was get a can of Duplicolor Instant Chrome, spray a little into the cap, get one of my cheap? Marlboro cigarettes, dip it in, and dab it on the letters and run it around the edges of the instrument cluster. Be sure you use the filter end, it acts like a sponge and you get good control of how much to put on. Worked great!

·
Registered
159 Posts
They sell some paint pens that are gold and silver. My dad uses them to mark outlines when he does stained glass layouts and patterns. They have very fine tips and some that are a bit larger. Only a couple fo bucks a piece. Wal Mart sells them, they are located in the crafts section. Once in awhile you can find them in a two pack. I can send him an email and get the name on them if anyone is interested. Give me a shout. :)

Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts