El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that someone here has dad this problem and posted info but can anyone give me some help i dont have any dash lights and my fuel gauge goes down when i turn on signal lights or head lights. i figure its a ground but dont know where the all are

·
Registered
668 Posts
You should always search the forum first before asking. Topics like this get asked over and over and over. Help us help you.

And fwiw. Check your grounds.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what a smart ass I have looked and read a lot of these forms
was hoping for someone that had seen the same problem.
I have checked all the grounds i can find

·
Registered
85 Posts
Best advice I can give is to pull the gauge cluster and check out the printed circuit behind it all. I had a similar problem when I got mine. The lights would go out altogether sometimes and the gas gauge was iffy at best. Pulled apart my dash and found that the printed circuit was pretty beat up. Alot of the connections were almost broken altogether and would only conduct electricity when they were shifted the right way to touch.

I pull a new one out of a junked Monte Carlo at the local bone yard, cleaned up the connection points and it was like brand new again. You may also want to do the update for the dash lights while you're in there as well as painting the inside white to reflect better. Get it all done at once so it's easier.

Oh, and FYI. I'd suggest you to edit your last post before you get a nasty gram from an administrator. They try to keep this family friendly and don't look to highly on cussing. I know from experience.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
I'd suggest you to edit your last post before you get a nasty gram from an administrator. They try to keep this family friendly and don't look to highly on cussing. I know from experience.
...X2..:beer:

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Hey Paulie, I,d agree with printed circuitboard likely being the problem. After that, there are 1 or 2 ground wires at the attaching connector, which likely aren't the problem. I went aftermarket on my gauges before they got any older, back when I could afford it, some things don't age well.
Reading people can be a little hard on the internet & some questions are overasked, but I took it from the way you worded your first sentence that you tried to find something before posting. I know some of us still run old computers , which take forever & then some to search & find anything.
Anyone posting a comment to a question such as yours in the way that they did shouldn't bother posting at all or find a nicer sounding way to say it.
EH, time for a :beer:.

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
The ground connection for the dash is just above the e brake pedal at the corner of the dash. You will have to look up and there is a 10mm bolt that should have the grounds connected to it. X2 on the circuit board connector. Try pushing on the right lower corner of the cluster and see if it makes a difference. If it does the problem is the connector or board.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Yes 464elky, there is another ground on the passenger side too. And make sure there is no wires that have been frayed up under the dash. Somewhere up near the steering colum but under the gauge cluster (where the colum bolts to the frame) I have found wires that where rubbing a sharp edge of metal. Maybe this helps you cause it happened to me. Good luck :beer:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Weird gage problem on my car turned out to be the connector to the gage cluster. The way tabs on the printed circuit just rest on connector contacts makes it really susceptible to crud or corrosion. I cleaned both with contact cleaner from Radio Shack. Then backed up the loose tabs on the pointed circuit with foam weatherstrip to hold the printed circuit against the connector. It has worked fine for years.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Is there a dedicated ground for the alternator gauge? It's the only one I have a problem with, sometimes it works sometimes no. The alternator has been checked many times and it's OK. Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the info but after messing with this thing looking at all the grounds and now made things worse like no running lights at all i still have not found the problem. The circut board did look fine and i did clean it but no fix, so completely lost but great info guys thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
one ground is on the fire wall behind the distributor and another is above the emergency park brake...maybe more but this is all I know of

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dash grounds.

There's also one connected to the dash support, lower right hand side. Looks just like the drivers side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts