El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to run some speaker wire in my dash to the radio plate having trouble running it through any words of wisdom on the best way to do it? :neutral2:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the original wire is wanting to run it from where the old dash speakers are want to pass it through where the stock wire is have better high quality stuff in there. If all else fails I'll just use the stock wire but not my personal preference. Just want to get it from the dash speaker cavity to the radio cavity. :poke:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can you tie the new wires to the old wires and pull the old wires through? If it gets stuck, you are in a bind, but it may be an option.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmmm that does sound like a good idea I'll try it when I get some daylight.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Only problem I see with that though. I just thought of it I think through out that wire they tape it all together.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Try fishing a stiff wire through first. Start on the passenger side and fish it down from the speaker hole to behind the glove box. Then tie off and pull your wires down. Then, you can get them across to the stereo area pretty easily.

On the driver's side, try fishing the wire down toward the fuse box, then across behind the plate below the steering column. This plate comes off with four screws. The only real obstacles should be the AC tunnels. Don't force anything.

Take your time, be careful, and good luck!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I replaced the speakers & wires in my 86.The trick with the speakers is to use a extremley short phillips screwdriver.Cut a wire coat hanger & straighten it out.feed it from the speaker locations to the radio location & tape your speaker wire to the coat hanger & pull the wire in.I found replacement speakers at Auto Zone for $12.99 each ,perfect fit,I used wire nuts on all the connections,much neater than the mess that was in there.Not that hard of a job.The speakers don't sound that great but,I cleared up a big mess & I have more space now.plus I rather listen to the sound of the dual pipes.I left the original radio wires with original plugs, in place in case I want to go to an original radio later.with the wire nuts it will be easy to remove & reinstall everything if I need to.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Take out the glove box and stereo no problem use a short piece of hanger and loop the end and tie the speaker wire to it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone the hanger trick worked now just where to put my rear speakers...was thinking about cutting into the plastic shelf right below the rear window. But I'm not sure how to get it off to see if they'd even fit. Any ideas camino gurus? :nanawrench: :poke:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Thanks everyone the hanger trick worked now just where to put my rear speakers...was thinking about cutting into the plastic shelf right below the rear window. But I'm not sure how to get it off to see if they'd even fit. Any ideas camino gurus? :nanawrench: :poke:
Check out my photobucket it shows all my back speakers it's cool. You don't have to cut nothing and if you use two 6x9 you don't loose any room and you cant see them. run the wires down the door sills and everything is hidden and I still have my spare tire and jack underneath.

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m636/HKDUP87/87 EL CAMINO/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_ click

·
Registered
146 Posts
Check out my photobucket it shows all my back speakers it's cool. You don't have to cut nothing and if you use two 6x9 you don't loose any room and you cant see them. run the wires down the door sills and everything is hidden and I still have my spare tire and jack underneath.

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m636/HKDUP87/87 EL CAMINO/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_ click
great looking ride! I like the boxes behind the seats. are those custom seats? What material is it? Also what wheels do you have?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey HKDUP87, got anymore picture of how you got that sub hooked and boxed? The 6X9 is a great idea that's what I have I'll be trying to do what you did. I got a 12 inch sub around to and it seems like you had a pretty good idea on that to would like to see more. :You_Rock:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Hey HKDUP87, got anymore picture of how you got that sub hooked and boxed? The 6X9 is a great idea that's what I have I'll be trying to do what you did. I got a 12 inch sub around to and it seems like you had a pretty good idea on that to would like to see more. :You_Rock:
It's a 8 inch bazooka tube all one piece then it is wired to the 300 watt punch and the 6x9's are 400 watt I believe.

Theres some pics and video in this album. click on picture and heres the link also.

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m636/HKDUP87/NIGHT VISION/

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You got the measurement for those carpeted boxes. That would save a lot of time.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
You got the measurement for those carpeted boxes. That would save a lot of time.
No i don't but PM RTT he copied mine and his look better and he built them himself. I would screw it up.
Robert

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
No, I would screw it up.
Robert
..not unless you follow this simple rule of thumb,its one six pack per hour to get anything done..:beer:
:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
..not unless you follow this simple rule of thumb,its one six pack per hour to get anything done..:beer:
:beer:

X2:beer::beer:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts