El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got another '83 Camino a couple of weeks ago and it is in pretty good shape but the dash pad is cracked in several places. I got ahold of an '84 Pontiac Bonneville that has the same dash as a Grand Prix and am thinking of swapping it in. The Pontiac dash has full gauges with tach and is blue (same as my interior) so I'm thinking hard about pulling everything from the firewall back that is related and putting in the Camino. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Will it work and do you think it makes sense to do it?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's a few on the site that have done this swap. May have to play around with some wiring but it's certainly doable.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I swapped a 1980 grand prix dash into my el camino. All you have to do is remove the top 2 screws by the defroster vents, and then there is one bolt kind of under the dash on each side and one in the middle. For the wiring I just spliced the grand prix harnesses in with the one from my elky but you could swap the whole harness if you wanted to. I'm eventually going with all aftermarket gauges and a new wiring harness so that's why I just spliced them together for now. Pretty easy swap to do just takes some time with the wiring. Plus the pontiac dashes look way better. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swapped a 1980 grand prix dash into my el camino. All you have to do is remove the top 2 screws by the defroster vents, and then there is one bolt kind of under the dash on each side and one in the middle. For the wiring I just spliced the grand prix harnesses in with the one from my elky but you could swap the whole harness if you wanted to. I'm eventually going with all aftermarket gauges and a new wiring harness so that's why I just spliced them together for now. Pretty easy swap to do just takes some time with the wiring. Plus the pontiac dashes look way better. :nanawrench:
Did you use the heater controls out of the Camino or the Pontiac? Also what about the vent routing? I am assuming that the main heater is the same in all of those cars so I can use the ducting out of the Bonneville but other than that I should be able to do the wiring even if I do splice some in.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
That looks awesome........just when i thought i knew what i wanted...now another consideration.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Did you use the heater controls out of the Camino or the Pontiac? Also what about the vent routing? I am assuming that the main heater is the same in all of those cars so I can use the ducting out of the Bonneville but other than that I should be able to do the wiring even if I do splice some in.
I used neither as I got rid of my heater box all together. But I am almost positive you need the heater ducts and such from the pontiac as there are more vents than what the el camino has. Also the controls I got used the air tubes or whatever you call them where as my elky used steel cables for the controls. Not sure if that means you need to use the heater box from the pontiac as well or not. Hopefully someone else on here knows. I would probably swap all of it to be safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used neither as I got rid of my heater box all together. But I am almost positive you need the heater ducts and such from the pontiac as there are more vents than what the el camino has. Also the controls I got used the air tubes or whatever you call them where as my elky used steel cables for the controls. Not sure if that means you need to use the heater box from the pontiac as well or not. Hopefully someone else on here knows. I would probably swap all of it to be safe.
Good part is that I have the Pontiac and it was complete so if I do have to swap I still have everything. I'm washing all of the vents in soapy water and cleaning them up good too. Crazy how much dirt is in them after only thirty or so years...:wink2: I'll have to check on how the controls are set up though.

·
Premium Member
5,899 Posts
That is a swap out I did for a friend a few years ago. That is an 02 Monte console.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts