El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If you cut the radio and heater controls out it might fit in there.. You would really ruin the look of that beautiful dash layout though..

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,539 Posts
Pioneer now makes a similar setup with a hide away "black box" and a screen you can mount whereever you want: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DMC5500/Pioneer-DMH-C5500NEX.html Thinking about pulling the trigger and getting one for my '72. I want good sound, but I will NOT cut my dash. And right now, I have a box that hangs under my dash for a single DIN headunit. However, I hate the way it looks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Put my 10 inch screen in place of central vents.Fits perfectly.Same make as "darbysan's".Head unit is behind ,under the dash.I keep original radio,it is beautifull.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Pioneer now makes a similar setup with a hide away "black box" and a screen you can mount whereever you want: Pioneer DMH-C5500NEX Digital multimedia receiver — does not play CDs at Crutchfield Thinking about pulling the trigger and getting one for my '72. I want good sound, but I will NOT cut my dash. And right now, I have a box that hangs under my dash for a single DIN headunit. However, I hate the way it looks.
Wow! that is awesome. If I win the lottery, (yeah right) I have just the place for it to go.
I currently have no sounds other than the engine...but a nice space.
IMG_0640.JPG

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,539 Posts
Just use a flip out. Plenty have them, Jensen, pioneer, alpine, soundstream, even some off brands.
True, but unless you have a late 5th gen with the 1 1/2 DIN opening, you'll still be cutting the dash for it to fit as most Elkies had the old school 2 shaft radio opening. I know some don't mind making a custom dash opening, but that's not for me. I want to keep the dash intact and still have the modern electronics. Plus, tech changes faster than the wind, so what makes sense today will be completely outdated in a year or two.

Reactions: Hat Trick
1 - 9 of 9 Posts