El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps site has too many old posts that are still accessed as if they are active. I see members posting to threads that haven't been active for 2 or 3 years, asking the original poster for assistance or if something is still for sale that was listed 3 years ago.

Does the ECC database need some cleaning up? We show over 21k members, how many have posted in the last year?

Just food for thought :dontknow:

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess when I look at the members list I see alot of members that haven't even visited in years. I do understand folks that view posts but do not post themselves. There is alot of useful information to be gained.... but if you haven't logged on since 2009 or earlier, I have to wonder if you are still 'active'

·
Registered
641 Posts
Problem isn't active members or inactive members. Threads should just be locked after 60 days of inactivity, but still be available for viewing, I mean, that is pretty much the universal standard for web forums.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Locking threads automatically is something that is not built in to vBulletin, which is our site software.
There is, however, a plugin modification available which can do that, but that's not free. Also, I no longer have access to make that kind of modification. Aside from the the moderators/admins manually locking old threads, (which would be time consuming and a logistical nightmare) the plugin is the only solution. Possibly the new site owners have a copy of the mod and would be willing to install for us.

Personally, I do not see it as that big of a deal. Mostly when a noob hijacks an old thread someone will steer them in the right direction, or ask them to post a new thread with their particular issue.
Of course too, whenever one of the moderators notices an old thread he/she may opt to go ahead and close it manually.

Looking at the member list to see who has and hasn't logged in is not a reliable method of gauging who is active and who is not since many members do not login just to view posts.

I am a member of countless forums and rarely login to gleen information, but rather only when I have a need to post. Nine times out of ten, much like many other sites, the search function nets the desired result since the question has probably already posed and answered by others.

As for the classifieds section showing old items for sale, I would consider it common courtesy for the original poster to mark the item sold.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Locking threads automatically is something that is not built in to vBulletin, which is our site software.
There is, however, a plugin modification available which can do that, but that's not free. Also, I no longer have access to make that kind of modification. Aside from the the moderators/admins manually locking old threads, (which would be time consuming and a logistical nightmare) the plugin is the only solution. Possibly the new site owners have a copy of the mod and would be willing to install for us.

Personally, I do not see it as that big of a deal. Mostly when a noob hijacks an old thread someone will steer them in the right direction, or ask them to post a new thread with their particular issue.
Of course too, whenever one of the moderators notices an old thread he/she may opt to go ahead and close it manually.

Looking at the member list to see who has and hasn't logged in is not a reliable method of gauging who is active and who is not since many members do not login just to view posts.

I am a member of countless forums and rarely login to gleen information, but rather only when I have a need to post. Nine times out of ten, much like many other sites, the search function nets the desired result since the question has probably already posed and answered by others.

As for the classifieds section showing old items for sale, I would consider it common courtesy for the original poster to mark the item sold.

X2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts