El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as you prolly know i got a 72 last sunday and have spent alot of this week cleaning and looking it over i decided that the rust is going to b a long term repair and to help slow it down and make the rig more prestntable i spent 50.00 bucks on a rat can paint job i think for what it is it really turned out take a look
http://groups.msn.com/MawsShowNShine/thewookybook.msnw
more picts added daily chk back oftin

thanks 4 your intrest and help

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Nice...but I'd kill that rust real quick. It all looks fixable. Nice straight body except the driver side rear qtr. But that looks like minimal repair too. Big question: How are the frame rails?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
havent had the frame out is there any key points i should look at ???
my plans with the "cheep paint " is to fix a panel at a time and enjoy the rig in the meen time

·
1,867 Posts
I am working on a friends 71 that is worse than that. It takes time, but in the end it can be something you can be proud of.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup i have wanted one for a long time and after building my dads 54 chev i decided it was time for my project

·
Registered
342 Posts
Wow - that's a straight ride - looks like you found a real clean slate to work on. I do agree with the other posts - you want to fix that cancer as soon as possible.

On the fenders, you want to look at the back side and make sure the reinforcement has not also rotted (the stamped sheetmetal that runs down the back edge inside the fender). If so, it may be necessary to remove the fender to fix it properly.

Look under the floor where the braces run across the car (not the frame, but the body braces) as they have a tendency to rot in the Chevelles of the same years.

Keep posting those pics.

Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok will do and thanks 4 the pointers
i will take any and all sujestions
:oops: i no its gona b a project how ever i have welded in patch panels in the 54 so its not somthing that im gona open up and get scared off
i just no the rust must b removed and b4 i can cut any thing i gota find a repitible Co. to buy parts from

1 - 7 of 7 Posts