El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas where to start. 2 days ago something started killing my battery dead overnight. It is charging 13 amps. I am an electrical dummy, but obviously something is running the battery down. Thanks for all your help.

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
I'm not sure but I think your supposed to start at the fuse block and see if your getting voltage to the acc's when the key is off?
s

·
Registered
1 Posts
check your glove box light switch to see if your light goes off. Mine did the same thing and that was what I finally found I looked for about 2 months. Finally saw it by accident. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did check all the lights last night in the dark, nothing on. I guess I will start with the fuse box test, see if anything shows up. I really don't like fooling with electrical, I seem to cause more problems than I solve. Thanks for all the help.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Fully charge the battery and do a load test on the battery. If that checks out OK, check the charging system, alternator. You should be up around 14 volts with the car running and it shouldn't drop much with accessories on like lights, wipers, a/c, etc.
Could be the alternator can't keep up and the electrical stuff is running off your battery.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whatever it is, it pulled the fully charged battery down last night. I charged it Sunday, drove it to Autozone and had the battery and charging checked, drove it home and left on the charger. This morning it was stone dead. I know there were no lights on last night, one suggested I check the cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 78 with this problem the alt wire was loose and drainrd the battery.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
With everything off, remove the negative battery cable, put a self powered test light (without a small battery in it) between the battery and the neg. cable, if the light comes on, there is a draw,, pull one fuse at a time until the light goes out,, that will get you in the ball park to start looking,, Matty man

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Keep in mind, the battery is the most unreliable part on your car. Do the draw test like matt said, if you don't see a big draw (bright test light), my money is on the battery. Regardless of it passing any so called test. Battery's don't play by any rules.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess this will be my last post on this. I checked the draw on the battery, not enough to even light the test light. Charging 14.8 v with all accessories on. I left the battery hooked up overnight, it cranked up fine this morning. I love electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I installed a battery disconnect on the negative cable on one of my cars. This car sits in storage for extended periods & the clock light would eventually draw the battery down. Now when I park I just open my disconnect & it now longer kills the battery.

Not exactly a fix for your problem, but a way to deal with it if you can't find the problem.

~JM~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts