El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I got another letter from State Farm, after 7 months. They still won't pay.
My insurance paid. I'm out my deductible and my rates went up, because I had my first claim ever. And they devalued my car by the amount they paid for the repair!
your insurance company won't act as your subrogation agent to get your money back from State Farm? sounds like time to find a new insurance company. sure am glad I have USAA

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,518 Posts
your insurance company won't act as your subrogation agent to get your money back from State Farm? sounds like time to find a new insurance company. sure am glad I have USAA
Agreed. And if the accident was deemed not at fault on your part, your rates should not have increased, with the exception that if you had a claims free discount, you may have lost that. I would first check with them and make sure your claims history is showing correctly and that you are not incorrectly tagged with an at fault accident. And then, once you have made sure everything is correct on your claims history, start shopping for insurance. They shouldn't be devaluing by the repair amount. I honestly have never heard of such a thing unless you have not yet repaired it. And I've been in the insurance business 20+ years. I'd check out Hagerty and/or Grundy to start.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
kurt,
check the laws in your state for insurance regulatory agencies and what their fiduciary duties are to you. you may also want to check your insurance binder (which is a contract) for what Foremost was supposed to do for you as their customer. you may have a valid complaint about being treated the way they have you. I'm not saying you'll get satisfaction but if you can make life hell for them and have someone breathing down their necks.......

as rushgator can tell you, if they've screwed up your records you may have a hard time getting your record fixed later because all the companies share data thru an industry claims database. I'm not sure what questions to ask that would keep them honest and on their toes, you'd have to ask Rushgator.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,518 Posts
You have the right to ask for a copy of your claims history. In the industry, it's called a "loss run". I'd ask for that so that you can review it for accuracy and make sure they're not charging you for an at fault accident. The rate increase makes me suspicious. And as cyberray stated, the earlier an inaccuracy is found, the easier it is to fix. Foremost is much more likely to correct a mistake while you're still a customer. If you cancel and then ask them to correct something, they may do it, but they will not be in much of a hurry to do so.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I believe I would be contacting the state insurance commission, with all documentation and details explaining how this has been handled or mis handled.If you cash their check they are off the hook.

My 2 cents,Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, it really sucks, when your insurance agency treats you like that. I had a same problem like 4 years ago. I've had enough of this kind of a treatment, and I asked my friend Dave what to do. He gave me this link https://www.americaninsurance.com/. And now I have a fine insurance. No bad treatment, good prices, etc. Just do it. This is better than waiting 6 weeks for an answer. I don't think that State Farm is the only option for you. And another thing - I wish you good luck with taking your money back.

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,077 Posts
I am an Agent with Farmers, from all your comments looks like you like JC Taylor other than them not having a local adjuster? Seems to be a common theme with some of the smaller insurance carriers that write "classic" car insurance. Even though I work for Farmers, have been with American Modern Home with all 5 of my "classic's" for over 30 years, great price and service, only had one claim in that time which was a broken windshield which I had replaced that I paid for and got reimbursed by American fully after the fact.

Where is the guy who hit you? Why are you dealing with so much crap from State Farm in stead of telling him that he needs to pay up? You did not select his insurance so that should be his problem, not yours.

Just my $.02

·
Supporting Member
4,415 Posts
I had a similar issue years ago. My insurance paid me for the damage, and it took Geico 2 yrs to pay back my insurance co, so I could get "part" of my deductible back. At least in my state, the insurance co has 2 years to settle, and they will take all of it if your insurance company has already paid. Guess they figure it's just Company to Company at that point, and sort of a "professional" arrangement between companies.

·
Supporting Member
4,415 Posts
As for insurance companies, I recently went through looking at a bunch of them, and settled on American Classic Insurance. They provide Agreed Value, and have policies that will allow lots of mileage ( Freedom Plan) if you need that. If you are retired, they do not require a daily driver for all users in the household.
Another one I liked was Corvette Museum Insurance. Probably the best prices, if you have enough Daily Driver cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, it really sucks, when your insurance agency treats you like that. I had a same problem like 4 years ago. I've had enough of this kind of a treatment, and I asked my friend Dave what to do. He gave me this link https://www.americaninsurance.com/. And now I have a fine insurance. No bad treatment, good prices, etc. Just do it. This is better than waiting 6 weeks for an answer. I don't think that State Farm is the only option for you. And another thing - I wish you good luck with taking your money back.
hey, friend, could you tell me more about how much do you pay for that insurance? what are the conditions for exactly your model of car ?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I use Hagerty as well for Both of My Classics. My 67 as a builder in the garage all the time Still :sad:. I`m getting there just Slowly. I also have a 1970 Caprice 2 Dr that has been in my Family since day One! Both on agreed Value and both Hagerty insured. I just finished doing 3 days of Goodguys with the Caprice. The Caprice is $279 a year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well after 13 months I finally got a resolution. When I got the estimate, State Farm gave me a check to get started. if there was further damage, let them know. When we found the inner support panels crushed ,the wiring cut and a body mount broken. They refused to pay. So my insurance company JC Taylor (Foremost) did. Then they went after them for payment of the remainder. after 12 months two weeks State Farm paid Foremost, and I got my deductible back. The next day, State Farm wanted the money back, or I would be arrested for insurance fraud. Because they could not read the settlement that clearly states that the money paid foremost is the difference in what they paid and what it cost to repair the car. Once I explained it to the third person, They called me a thief, so I hung up on them. I may have made some comment about his having immoral relations with his mother. I had also explained that it actually cost roughly $1000 dollars more, which I paid . Because the tariffs went into effect while they took 3 months to reply to the original estimate. They finally called back and told me they missed the notation. But it took 3 days of arguing on the phone to get them to budge. How many people would have just sent them the money? And they called ME a thief! I knew it was going to be trouble when the first 3 body shops told me they won't deal with State farm. I had to find a new place to store it this winter, because the regular place was already full. The new place will not store a car insured by State Farm.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts