El Camino Central Forum banner

Decisions, decisions, just couldn't pass it up!

3K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  78 Elk 
#1 ·
I am now the proud owner of an 05 LQ4 6.0! Like the title says couldn't pass it up! Main reason is the previous owner had it four years in his garage and just let it sit there. He claimed 58k miles and I didn't believe it but bought it anyway, just because it was so clean and absent the usual goo associated with used motors. My co-worker mechanic and I pulled the intake and rocker covers and he agrees with the 58k. Looks like another project is about to start, since my ElCo already has more HP than I originally expected...........Um....... there in lies my problem! Find another project? Up-grade the ElCo again? (would require more rearend than the posi unit I am about to replace?) Ughhh..........

Decisions, decisions............

I do have this strong urge to find a 70's-80's square body Chevrolet C70 to build a tow truck for my ElCo! Any body have a better idea?

Joe

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Joe,

That. Is. Fabulous!! I wish I could find deals like that and that somebody has already pulled out of the original vehicle. Great engine without AFM/DOD and not these late model Direct Injection motors. I'd start looking for a drive by-wire throttle pedal and a 1 megabyte P59 PCM for it and you will be set to go. Let me know and I will send you a basic tune for the PCM, VATS deleted, etc.

I toy with the idea of getting another junk yard engine simply to have a motor project . . . boredom some times - especially these days. Wiring and fuel for it bolted to an engine stand, now that I've done one, would not be difficult. The yard engines are not that expensive at maybe $200, especially if you pull them yourself but it would not be another 5.3 like I have now. I'd be in the hunt for a 6.0 like yours and an aluminum Gen 3 "6.2" would be nice but probably way out of my price range.

Have fun with your new toy and keep us posted on how you will use it. Your words here on the site may push me over the edge into managing my occasional boredom and that'll be just fine with me.

Rick

#3 ·
Hello Joe,

That. Is. Fabulous!! I wish I could find deals like that and that somebody has already pulled out of the original vehicle. Great engine without AFM/DOD and not these late model Direct Injection motors. I'd start looking for a drive by-wire throttle pedal and a 1 megabyte P59 PCM for it and you will be set to go. Let me know and I will send you a basic tune for the PCM, VATS deleted, etc.
Rick
Joe,

If you find you need a drive-by-wire pedal, let me know. I have one from an 06 Vette. When I bought my LS2, it came with pedal and computer but, no harness. Then, I got a deal on a harness from Speartech that came with a pedal and computer so, I ended up with an extra. If you need it, it's yours.

Les

#6 ·
Question about your Yukon PCM computer. Does it have blue and green connectors? Or is it blue and red for connectors? Green = a 1 megabyte operating system P59 device. Red = 512k byte OS P01 device. I'm hoping yours has the green and blue pair.

Rick

#8 ·
Hello Joe,

If you want to save some HP Tuners cash, I have a stock tune here for you that I'm making changes in now - my boredom again. Its a 6.0 tune with a 4L80E for a blue-green PCM and I've currently got it set for 650 RPM for idle - VIN 1GTHC29U21E142995. I'm in the process of turning off the myriad things that would throw a Check Engine Light at you - EGR, EVAP, CAT Overheat, among other things.

If you get interested in this, I'd be happy to assist you. I'm not your guy if you are going to run boost, a bigger cam or nitrous - zero experience with those. But for a basic, low risk tune that would get your engine running . . . let's do it. I'd even go get you a different blue-green PCM out of the junk yard to save you the postage of sending me your current device.

Rick

PS. - Really bored here but helping you would give my life meaning and value on a night with thunderstorms in northwest Louisiana!!!

#9 ·
Hello Joe,

If you want to save some HP Tuners cash, I have a stock tune here for you that I'm making changes in now - my boredom again. Its a 6.0 tune with a 4L80E for a blue-green PCM and I've currently got it set for 650 RPM for idle - VIN 1GTHC29U21E142995. I'm in the process of turning off the myriad things that would throw a Check Engine Light at you - EGR, EVAP, CAT Overheat, among other things.

If you get interested in this, I'd be happy to assist you. I'm not your guy if you are going to run boost, a bigger cam or nitrous - zero experience with those. But for a basic, low risk tune that would get your engine running . . . let's do it. I'd even go get you a different blue-green PCM out of the junk yard to save you the postage of sending me your current device.

Rick

PS. - Really bored here but helping you would give my life meaning and value on a night with thunderstorms in northwest Louisiana!!!
I'm not even sure how I'm gonna go with this but I really appreciate the offer! I'm only thinking about cams and such so far. I understand what you're saying about something to do! I just started looking around for a 4l80e and still need to get a TAC module/pedal assy, (looks like Les might have one) and some coil packs together. I'll be busy with the harness for a while, thanks again! Talk to you soon!

Joe

#10 ·
Decisions, decisions............

I do have this strong urge to find a 70's-80's square body Chevrolet C70 to build a tow truck for my ElCo! Any body have a better idea?

Joe

I would also like to build an older rollback type wrecker, that's a great idea!

#11 ·
Great minds think alike! Just gotta keep it under 26,000 unless you already have the CDL!

Only, my idea is a bob-tail 5th wheel with trailer. Miniature Semi so to speak...... I love the square body 73-87 trucks and the 60-70 series use the same cab so all the dash and interior restoration parts work! I just need a good chassis and cab! Already have the motor! Looking daily!

This is close, just think with a 5th wheel an some fenders over the rears.....

Joe

#14 ·
So I installed the new harness today, and started removing all the harness wrapping and tape until my fingers hurt. I'll get back to it soon, and start pulling all the un-necessary wires. This harness seems harder to work with than my last one it's almost like the factory shot it full of glue or something. It's slowly letting go the more I work it though.

Joe

#15 ·
Finally got around to playing with the 6.0 today. Started tearing down to get things cleaned up and ready for new valve springs and cam. It's the small things that matter, like pulling the heads and finding flat top factory pistons when expecting dishes! This sucker is an LQ9, not an LQ4! This will make things a bit more interesting! Life is good!

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor Vehicle

Joe

#17 ·
Yes .Please keep us posted. Enquiring minds want to know!!😮

#21 ·
LQ4 vs LQ9

III1999-08LQ4 (U)300-325 @ 5200360-370 @ 44006.04.003.629.4:1Iron/Iron-Alum. heads
III2002-07LQ9 (N)345 @ 5200380 @ 40006.04.003.6210.0:1Iron/Alum. heads

either way, an extreme killer deal !

LQ4
The Vortec 6000 LQ4, is a V8 truck engine. Displacement is 5,967 cc (6.0 L; 364.1 cu in) from a bore and stroke of 101.6 mm × 92 mm (4.00 in × 3.62 in). It is an iron/aluminum (1999 & 2000 model year engines had cast iron heads) design and produces 300 to 325 hp (224 to 242 kW) and 360 to 370 lb⋅ft (488 to 502 N⋅m). LQ4s are built in Romulus, Michigan and Silao, Mexico.

(VIN U) Applications:
LQ9
The Vortec HO 6000 or VortecMAX is a special high-output version of the Vortec 6000 V8 truck engine originally designed for Cadillac in 2002. This engine was renamed as the VortecMAX for 2006. It features high-compression (10:1) flat-top pistons for an extra 10 hp (7 kW) and 10 lb⋅ft (14 N⋅m), bringing output to 345 hp (257 kW) and 380 lb⋅ft (515 N⋅m). LQ9s are built only in Romulus, Michigan.

LQ9 (VIN N) Applications:

#22 ·
The last owner thought it was an LQ4. He had plans for a turbo set-up but sold the car a few years ago. The lower compression version is better for boost. All I know is what came from him. He said it's out of an 05 Silverado 2500. I'm suspecting 4WD since there was no trans with it. But that's really just a guess. All I know now is I tripped over and bought the Holy Grail LS truck motor for 1k with 58k miles! If I don't find a decent car/truck/cruck to put it in I'll just turn everything upside down and sell my rebuilt rear end and stuff this 6.0 (after a few upgrades) into the ElCo and add a Quick Performance 9"! The trans is already built to take 600hp ..........Oh, then what to do with the 370hp 5.3? Back to the title! Decisions, decisions................. I love life!

Joe

#25 ·
OK, a car showed up and I bought it just because I knew I could sell it for more than I gave for it. Now it looks like this car will be fun to stuff this 6.0 into! Since my ElCo is now running pretty much trouble free, I can now build the motor I couldn't find when I started out building it, and still enjoy driving my ElCo while I work out the bugs before I swap the motors and sell the test mule! That's the plan so far! So, the adventure begins! I already have researched how much I will have to stiffen the chassis up! This is gonna be fun!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sedan

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.