El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it is, my friend's mom backed into my 84 el camino sunday, put a nice size dent in the back driverside fender right behind the gas tank cover. What's the best way to get the dent out and still keep a decent shape to it? It's got a double wall fender so i cant just reach under and pop it out. I want to use as little bondo as possible to fix it. i've never really done body work on a car, but i've done some fabricating in the past, so i know a little about what's in store for me. any helpful hint's on an easy way to do this? thanks for your help

Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just picked up a book at barnes & noble a few days ago. Pro Paint & Body by HP books. It has many tips for dent removal and refinishing. They show several pics of differnt damage and way they would go about the repair.

·
1,867 Posts
I have actually used one of those suction cup things & it worked. It works the best on a basicly flat area.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If the fender is just sort of pushed in without a bad crease, try this. Go to the bathroom and get the good old plunger. Return to truck. Be sure the area dented is washed clean. Wet fender and plunger. Press wet plunger to fender at about the middle of the dent. Push to expel air and YANK. You'll be amazed at how it "pops" the dent back out. It will get you back in the ballpark if the dent is not seriously creased or the metal stretched. It's cheaper than getting an air operated suction cup, although it's amazing what you can pull out with one of those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts