El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or did they even make them at all to begin with? :?: For the longest time, I had noticed on every ACC (AutoCustomCarpet) add in Chevy High Performance, they always showed a pic with a bucket seat, a door panel, and a carpet- And I read somewhere they were going to be making the reproduction seat covers & door panels.

Since I am in the market now, I checked out their site- Just carpets... I double checked their old adds- they say they were selling seat covers, etc etc- now they just say carpet.

Anybody know what happened? I know their founder & president died in a plane crash last year... I wonder if that killed the 'new' seat cover division too... Or maybe the economy just killed it & they went back to their core business...

Anybody know whats up at ACC?
Thanks-
Ben

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I Just wanted to clarify something- I do know All the resto catalogs list the covers & where to order them- I was actually interested specifically in ACC as a NEW source for the covers... Currently (from what I know) there are really only 2 MFGs reproducing the old covers & supplying them to the resto houses... PUI & Distinctive. Since I have had Good luck with PUI & BAD LUCK with distinctive :roll: , I was interested to check out the quality on ACC's covers... :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
seat covers

very interested in your post as i am about to embark on a bucket seat conversion of my 71 BB el camino. :D i have a very good set of buckets that were stored in a basement since being removed from a 70 el camino many years ago. they will need a complete restoration, not because of condition, but because of color. they are certainly not usable in their current condition, but are not all beat up, torn and rusted. i am planning to convert them from the aqua color they are to black for my use. i have been through most of the resto catalogs i have and am totally confused :? :? as to which one to use. i have had good luck purchasing from the el camino store, the parts place and 1 or 2 others, but still have yet to decide which one to use. any suggestions?? who is PUI (or whoever it was you referred to in your post)?? :?:

i'm located in south florida 8) if that makes a difference. :D

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SRS244 Welcome to the BEST Elcamino site on the Web!!!! :)

I know your delema all too well... Went through it when i re-did the buckets in my 69 elky, and i'm going through it now with my 70...

All the suppliers you get catalogs from (elcamino store, yearone, opg, etc etc) all get their seat covers from the same two manufacturers: PUI or Distinctive Industries. As far as I know PUI & Distinctive are the ONLY companies making the reproduction interiors for our cars.

In my other post, I was hoping someone knew.... ACC who makes really good head formed carpets for our cars, had advertised for a while that they were going to be making seat cover kits... but it looks like it never happened. About 15 years ago there was another company called USA-1 that made interior kits... From what I understand they are out of business now.

So anyway- the point of all that was.... :) All the suppliers/catalogs you see sell one or the other of those two mfgs, PUI or Distinctive.

From my own experience, and talking to people at shows & stuff, PUI is the better brand- A little more expensive, but much better in quality of materials, stiching & the reproduction in general... When you see the cheaper prices, most likely they are selling the Distinctive MFGd covers, which are not quite as good, but still not bad. I have heard that their stiching is not as good, and I know from experience that their design reproduction(at least on 69 covers) was very poor.

None of the catalogs advertise which company makes the interiors they sell, but if you call and ask they will tell you.

As far as the reproduction foam/buns are concerned, all the places have about the same quality of foam... It all will need to be trimmed a bit to give the best fit.

Anyway, good luck with it, and I'll be glad to share any other tips I can for ya. I'm planning to do the re-upholstery of my seats MYSELF this time- so I'm sure when i'm done I'll have some good info! :)

Later!
Ben

·
Registered
8 Posts
AHSOM70 said:
SRS244 Welcome to the BEST Elcamino site on the Web!!!! :)

As far as I know PUI & Distinctive are the ONLY companies making the reproduction interiors for our cars.

ben

thanks for the info. can you go direct to pui??? if so can you tell me how (and where) to find them. interestingly enough while doing some research for my project i did notice several suppliers who indicated that the covers for pre 70 weren't exact replicas, but were very close and very acceptable. i guess that's what you may have run into the first time. i also plan to undertake this "project" myself ( :? no, i have no prior experience other than my age and remembering first hand what a hog ring is, LMAO!! :roll: ) so i guess i'll have the same frustrations and stories to tell. fortunately the seats i am starting with were taken from a 70 el camino many years ago and stored in a heated basement all these years. they are in excellent condition considering the age, but will take a complete makeover as they are that aqua/green that was popular then and the finished product will be black. i guess i'll have some parts for sale like the seatbacks and skirts because i don't plan to paint them because i doubt they will hold up. my el camino is a daily driver at this point even though it's been pretty much rebuilt and restored.

any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts