El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
PAPA J We're on the same page literely! 8)

Al if you look on the left side of the sheet you will see 6H1 LAGUNA FRONT

THE DEFENSE RESTS........... :-D

·
Registered
19 Posts
no sir it is not.....that sheet is just proof that these cars exist

like I said earlier I don't care if my car is legit or not, cause it sure won't be when we're done

·
Banned
881 Posts
914nickd said:
why do you care? YOU HAVE GEN 5
I care because I feel that if a rumor is said enough times people will start to believe it's true. I'm one for debunking these rumors before that happens. If enough people said that Chevrolet actually did produce a 63 El Camino eventually someone would take it as gospel. Someday people will also believe that there was an 88 El Camino too.

That RPO code 6H1 isn't in any of my GM documentation. Believe me, I have every piece of customer and dealer only documentation for El Caminos from 59 to 87. I have all of the dealer only data books, value guides, light duty sales albums, and pocket price guides. None of the 1975 books mention this option. None of my RPO code books mention this code either. So, for now I'll continue to be a skeptic.

If it was factory it had to be a COPO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
HEY ERNIE,

THANKS for the info ,but check out that build sheet...bottom of the fourth column what is "YK6 COPO IDENT"?

How cool would it be to say I/WE had a "copo camino"

could they be worth "BIG BUCKS" like the camaro"s and others?

HAHA I WISH :lol:

LET'S PUT THIS ISSUE TO BED AND MOVE ON....HUH?

CIAO

ND

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
8) The General and all the other car companies were known for sneaking special order (usually for some exec.) vehicles out the door. No documentation of their existence to be found on record. I wonder how mant little gems are stashed away by collectors never to be seen by the average car guy.
Around 1979 I hauled a 1954 Chevy Belair 2dr hard top from a warehouse in Livonia Mi. to a collector near Henderson Ky. He was a fairly old Gentleman and very fussy.
The car had a 265V8 with a 4 barrell carb and a powerglide trans. It also had air conditioning that I recongnized as being a Cadillac unit! It had les than a 1000 miles on it and was immaculate.
He told me the car was built at the plant then shipped to where the concept cars were built and the air and V8 were added. He showed me some documents on the car but would not tell me the name of the GM Exec it was built for. I delivered it to his building and it had racking that was full of old cars. They were totally enclosed on a pallet of sorts and put into their places by an overhead moveable lift!
That was 30 years ago and I know he is long gone. I wonder what ever happened to all those cars. :?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey who knows maybe we'll see them on Barrett-Jackson someday?

That reminds me of a friend of mine that used to be the editor of Vette magazine that is now editor of Vintage Motorsport mag .... He would stop by my shop with all kinds of crazy factory built prototypes etc. before moving to the left coast.....

One of the most memorable ones was a late 80's (new at the time) Buick Estate wagon (woodgrain and all)with a GNX DRIVETRAIN!!! WAHOO was that boat fast. He said it was a test mule for a possible production car.

And I guess the coolest one was myself and some other friens of ours got to drive a (pre production) ZR-1 VETTE and then even get our pics and comments in Vette magazine.

OK that's enough of that rant

·
Registered
371 Posts
I bought my first 77 elcamino slightly used from a dealer. They had an elcamino with a 76 slant nose laguna front end but it had already been sold. It was a conversion that the dealer had done. I remember asking about having it done to the one 8nbought but they wanted almost as much to conver it as I paid for the caas it was. I now have a 77 SS elcamino that’s been restored and has a 300 hp 350 in it. The car is all black with the white SS trim. It would be a cool conversion if parts were available. I have not found the 76 slant nose but I did see a 76 elcamino with the original laguna front end last week.. the guy didn’t know much about it however. As he bough5nit that way. Unfortunately I’m not supposed to drive any more so I can’t even enjoy my 77 except if I can get someone to take it to a show with me. Ultimately it’s going to hav3 to go as I can’t leave it forever at my sons shop. We go tool around occasionally but that’s about it.

byron.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,242 Posts
Yet another example here of the glitch in the system with the swap to the XenForo format. The OP in this case is also a member account that has been long ago deleted. Shows as Guest. Several of the follow-up posts are also from members long gone or banned. I am not posting this to demean member Bentwings in any way! There have been a lot of bringing up ancient threads by even long time members such as himself since the format change. One suggestion to help fix that would be to do away with the 'Recommended For You' that shows first when anyone logs in. Change it to show the new posts first as the 'HOME PAGE'. Like it was before the change.

How do we get their attention? Is it @Administrator ?

On a personal note: I know that 4th gens don't get much love. But I can still remember setting in a Laguna Chevelle SS in a dealer showroom back in 75. Loved that slant nose, and still do! I wanted it bad! But alas I was there to just buy a plane jane P/U to use for construction work, and that's what I had to drive away in.

Sorry for the rant. :unsure:

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,831 Posts
Can’t believe I never saw this thread!😂

factory option is a Yes but would have to be a COPO.

and @Bentwings if ya want to change up the front end on the 77. I know a guy who has a couple slant noses👍☝
Musical instrument Wood Rectangle Bumper Motor vehicle

21 - 39 of 39 Posts