El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1984 El camino with a 305 and a stock 4b carb. I have about 178,000 miles on the original motor and I am suddenly having serious issues. When I take the El C. to the highway and drive about 70mph it chokes up and dies pulling me to the side of the road.

On top of that, recently it started doing the same thing in town. Its running a really high idle lately and when i kill the engine and take the keys out, it tries to stay running and cuts out (Diesieling).

I've changed the fuel filter out three times and used some seafoam but still does the same thing? Anyone, please help me with this strange problem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Possible two different problems, start with removing the air cleaner -eng cold- and looking at the choke plate open the throttle all the way and release, choke plate should close, Start engine and let warm up watching the choke it should open all the way- if not the reason it is dieseling is because it is not comming off the fast idle circuit meaning the choke stat is weak or carb linkage is sticking from dirt.

Possible reason for highway problem can also be the choke not opening or internal carb problem or even the fuel pump can be going bad.

These are a few areas to start looking someone else may chime in with other sugestions.

Buzzard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts