El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the complete F41 sports suspension parts on my 84 ! I've seen people talking about the Camaro 36mm Hollow bar !
Can you tell the difference between the two ? 1 1/2" & 1 1 1/4"
Is it worth the time & work to find the Camaro hollow 36MM bar & pull it off & replace the 32MM I have ?
I know the hollow one is lighter but will it help or you really can't tell the difference in the two ?

Don't tell me the difference is 4MM or 1/4" !! :poke:lol

Thanks ! :beer:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I have the complete F41 sports suspension parts on my 84 ! I've seen people talking about the Camaro 36mm Hollow bar !
Is it worth the time & work to find the Camaro hollow 36MM bar & pull it off & replace the 32MM I have ?
I know the hollow one is lighter but will it help or you really can't tell the difference in the two ?

one is hollow and one is solid.

:poke:

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,050 Posts

I havent done the math but I would be very surprised if the torsional resistance of a hollow 36mm was much different than that of a solid 32mm one. I think it would be very close to a wash, however the weight difference would be worth it, every pound helps.

So if it were me and I ran across one of those hollow bars, I'd snatch it up.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
IIRC.
32mm (1.259") is about 1 1/4" and the f41 bar.
34mm (1.338") is about 1 5/16"
36mm (1.42") is about 1 7/16"
I've read somewhere that the 34mm hollow bar is equal to the 1 1/4" solid bar. You may want to research this information because I copied them from a book of notes I've collected over the past year or so (mostly useless info :poke::smileyb:)!

Doug

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
IIRC.
32mm (1.259") is about 1 1/4" and the f41 bar.
34mm (1.338") is about 1 5/16"
36mm (1.42") is about 1 7/16"
I've read somewhere that the 34mm hollow bar is equal to the 1 1/4" solid bar. You may want to research this information because I copied them from a book of notes I've collected over the past year or so (mostly useless info :poke::smileyb:)!

Doug
\

Doug is a tin mine of useless info! Ask his wife!

:poke: :nanawrench:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
\

Doug is a tin mine of useless info! Ask his wife!

:poke: :nanawrench:
She didn't marry me for my "tin mine of useless info" don't cha know :inlove:!

Doug

Now back to the real story here!

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I figure that the less lighter piece is better cause it's more heavier than the other so it should be less flexible and more rigid..yah no?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I read a post from Hotchkis that said something like this:
Swar bars work off of torsional force (twisting motion). Therefore, the material in the center of a solid bar plays little role in the resistance of torsional force. So, the elimination of some of the center material and moving it to the outside of the tube, where it is more effective. This will produce a sway bar that is lighter in weight and just as stiff, if not stiffer than a solid bar.
Example:
A 1 3/8" hollow bar is equivalent to a 1 1/4" solid bar. But the 1 3/8" hollow bar is 6% stiffer and 43% lighter than the 1 1/4" solid bar.

Doug

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,587 Posts
I've wrenched on oval track cars for quite a few years, so I've studied a little bit about suspension.
In theory, a solid bar of equal arm length and diameter is supposed to be stiffer than a hollow bar. There are equations to calculate just that, but you can't get an exact answer without knowing the wall thickness of the tubing. My wild guess after working with both solid and hollow torsion bars on our Sprint Car is that the difference between 32mm solid and 36 mm hollow is incremental at best. Obviously, the weight savings is beneficial, especially considering the sway bar is located outside of the wheelbase, multiplying the effect of the weight savings. On my own Camino, I added a rear bar many years ago, then a 32mm front bar a few years later and poly sway bar bushings/ end link bushings after that. If you haven't done it yet, I highly recommend doing the bar bushing/ end link bushing upgrade, as it was as profound of a difference as upping bar size. As it is now, with the stock GM bars, KYB shocks, 5lbs. in the AirLift bags, 235/60 and 275/60 T/A tires on 15X8 wheels, I feel my cornering is a bit on the tight side. If the Firebird bar was any stiffer than the 32mm stock bar, it might make it uncomfortably tight and force me to find a bigger rear bar to loosen the rear up a bit, so I wouldn't experiment with the 36mm. front bar unless one fell in my lap dirt cheap.

Bill

·
Registered
555 Posts
You won't be able to tell a difference between those two bars. Go with the lighter one for some weight savings. Your limiting factor is your tires. Because of your radial street tires and limited grip of radial tires vs. sticky track tires, you wouldn't be able to push your suspension to the level needed to actually see a difference in those two bars.

·
Senior Contributing Member
412 Posts
It makes a huge difference.
On my Monte i had the stock F-41 bar and upgraded to the 36mm hollow one.
It was night and day on handling and feel.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It makes a huge difference.
On my Monte i had the stock F-41 bar and upgraded to the 36mm hollow one.
It was night and day on handling and feel.
Do you have the Grand prix bar on it ?
The Grand prix bar made a BIG difference in mine !! So that's why I'm checking to see if the bigger bar will make it even better ?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Guys !! :beer:
I will keep my eye out for one when I do my upullits walk thru ! I need to change the bushings/end links anyway, So i will install the bigger one then ! I'll put that project lower on the list to do !!

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,587 Posts
When you elect to do the upgrades, look at the Moog HD line of bushings and link kits, identified by their blue color. You can use your factory bushing mounts and I've been told by others that they have the density of the aftermarket polyurethane pieces without the necessity of regular lubrication. I know they're listed in Rock Auto's online catalog, but any parts store should be able to access them.

Bill

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
When I find the Hollow 36MM sway bar, Does anybody want me to find one for them ?
I make my way around the upullits in my area about once a week ! So Once I get mine I will keep my eye out for more if somebody needs one !:dontknow:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts