El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered and never known, are there any distinct differences between the chevy vs GMC? Now that Im starting my restore, if theres anything distinct, I'd like to keep it thay way. Someone told me once that the vinyl top like mine has is only a GMC thing but Im not sure, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Lansing Michigan area.
Had a buddy that bought a new Chevy pick-up.
On one side it was badged Chevy and the othe side was badged GMC.
Now, you tell me there is a difference, when the same chassis rolls down the SAME assembly line ?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know that, I know theyre the same body stylye, wheelbase, and basically the same car, I was just curious as far as trim options and the other small things, that one would usually overlook.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,530 Posts
They put a different kind of air in the tires of the GMC......
wait for it......
:laughing3::laughing3::laughing3::laughing3:

·
Banned
26 Posts
so then, once you change the air in the tires, does it become a chevy, toyota or what??? BTW, I change the air in my tires once a month, whether it needs it or not because my grandma said it's the right thing to do! I luv my grandma- rest her soul.

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,573 Posts
I was the truck manager for a Buick-GMC dealer in the 80's, so I used to order all my inventory. The GMC Data Book (the official order & spec guide) was all in "slashes" for the G-body, as in El Camino / Caballero, Conquista / Amarillo, Super Sport / Diablo. Very few options were listed as "El Camino only" or "Caballero only". All other light duty trucks had separate pages for Chevrolet and GMC. With very few exceptions, only the badging distinguished the two.

Bill

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
The build sheet from the 84 Caballero my wife used to have shows CHEVROLET in the car line block and an option code of Z88 GMC CONVERT.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Elcamino/GMC

I have a 1982 GMC Caballero (just the plain jane model) Has everything except power windows, and power seate , if they were offered that year.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Bethany Kars has a 1987 El Camino Conquista and a 1987 Caballero Amarillo both in Black/Silver. If anyone wants to view 2 very nice original cars, try http://www.bethanykars.com/ and click on Inventory. One is on page 1 and the other is on page 2. Living in New Mexico, it is funny to think of a car (the Caballero Amarillo) called Yellow Cowboy.
Craig

·
Registered
17 Posts
1982 Caballero amarillo edition

I guess all my stuff was options for that year. Have the decal on tailgate, tach and all power. I have only seen 3 other GMC Caballero's in Oklahoma city. I wasn't misleading anyone with my first post. I'm the second owner of the caballero. The owner said it came from the factory that way. Didn't know all that was a option.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts