El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up... they used a couple of different master cylinders on 71 models. The one Autozone had listed for my car wasn't the right one. It might just be that Autozone has the numbers wrong. The part listed for the 70 el camino was the right one.

Other than that, everything's cool... next on my list of "stuff I need to replace before I get stranded in the middle of nowhere again" is u-joints, then wheels and tires, if nothing else breaks or catches on fire.

Later,
-Dean

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Take care of that "shimmy" you've got in the drive line! Hate to see you drop a driveshaft...It really can be an ugly thing....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I intend to do that tomorrow if the weather cooperates. It'd be a shame do all that damage because of a $9 part. Haven't been driving the car much at all because of it.

-Dean

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are two different brake boosters, Delco and Bendix. Each requires a different master cylnder becasue the push rod depth is different. I know because in my former life I was a Brake Product Engineer for Wagner Electric. I handled master cylinders! Spent most of my career being an expert witness defending the company against Numb Nuts that tried to adjust pushrods, clean master cylinders with non-alcohol solvents and use tranmisssion fluid for brake fluid. :roll:

Obviously the lions share of booster were Delco since they were part of GM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...defending the company against Numb Nuts that tried to adjust pushrods...
It probably doesn't help that the instructions included with the MC said the following in the reinstallation steps: "the new MC should sit perfectly in place, if it does not, refer to the manufacturer's instructions for adjusting push rod depth".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts