El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, how can i tell if my which tach is correct? My origional tach wire is spiced in with my new tach wire so i can compare the 2. Well they are almost 600-800 rpms off. Origional tqch runs 3000 on the highway new rach runs 2450. I idle at 900 on my origional tach and 600 on the new. Now lower rpms i think the new tach is right on but i hauled a** and on my origional tach i was about 4500 rpms and the new was about 2500 while i was accelerating. Sounded about 3000 rpms but i dont know? I can post a video tomarrow.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woah that is EXACTALLY what mine does. Same everything. Now which one do you trust?

Thank you!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Woah that is EXACTALLY what mine does. Same everything. Now which one do you trust?

Thank you!
im trusting my new tach, since if my truck was really shifting into 3rd at 7K my motor would have blown up by now lol

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine has an adjustment for 4-6-8, i made sure its at 8.

Conspiracy, so since its all new ab i hooked it up right it should be accurate? Okay thanks.
I might have the same gears as you? Mine does about the same RPM's maybe alittle higher i dont know.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a ? . Today i was testing the tach out and i hit the gas fairly hard and the rpm guage is only at 2500, is that because of my gears? i have something on my throttle where if i hit it hard enough after a certain point the throttle stiffens up so if you want to go faster you have to accually try. happened about 3500 rpms on origional tach, new tach about 2600. my guess is the top RPM i could get to would be 5000... maybe. What confuses me is if i have the origional 2.41 gears why do i get such great torque and acceleration at low rpms? no posi.

Thanks Brandon

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
use a tune up tach dwell meter to check both the factory ones are usually slow to react but accurate at a steady speed. i just replaced mine because it was reading about 1000 high at 6000. it was reading about an inch past the 6000 mark at 6000.they can be recalibrated for a nominal fee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts