El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone out there know were I can locate a list of rear-ends and there ratios that would fit in my 79' Elco. I have dropped in a fully bored, stroked, balanced, blueprinted 383 small block with a 700r4 trans. Would like to play with rear end ration to compensate for the extra gear.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You're pretty much restricted to '78-87' intermediates of the GM family. Nothing else is a bolt in. I did see a guy bolt in a 70 Monte Carlo 12 bolt. It must have been awfully stressfull on the upper links and U-joints cause it's not suppose to fit.

A real find would be a 84-87 Cutlass 442/turbo Regal 8.5" rear end availble with 3.42/3.73 gearing. See my album

Short of that look at the junkyards for an overdrive equiped intermediate. Its more like to have lower geared rear end. Count wheel driveshaft turns vs one wheel turn to get the ratio assuming both wheels turn if only one wheel turns multiply your result by two. 7.5" ratios are 2.29,2.41,2.56,2.73.3.08,3.42,3.73,4.10 (S-10)

If you're only looking for a gear set then go straight to the S-10s

·
Banned
881 Posts
Mecheng said:
I did see a guy bolt in a 70 Monte Carlo 12 bolt. It must have been awfully stressfull on the upper links and U-joints cause it's not suppose to fit.
South Side Machine makes a kit (part #1328) to install a 1964-1972 10 or 12 bolt rear end into "G" body. The kit includes the upper and lower control arms, spring seats, and lower shock mounts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good point Ernie. I studied this a while back and new it could be done if the arms were offset and spring pads and shock mounts rewelded. The cool cat I mentioned used a BFH and the axis of the pinion was not were it should have been. I forgot about the springs, that looked pretty cheesey too. In all it was a dangerous bolt in!

SSM's kit and a 64-67 12 bolt rear end would be pretty close drum to drum. My not need many mods

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had installed a 70 12 bolt ina 78 malibu using the stock arms. It never gave me any problems and handled my 350/4 speed with no problems. It might have been dumb luck, but it worked. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Interesting. Why would anybody pay upwards of $750 for G body 8.5" when they could "bolt in" a 12 bolt rear end. :?

·
Banned
881 Posts
Why would anybody pay upwards of $750 for G body 8.5" when they could "bolt in" a 12 bolt rear end.
Have you shopped around for a decent 12 bolt recently? I can't remember when I last saw one for sale. I see more 8.5" at swap meets.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
119 Posts
rear-end canidates for 84 elkie

I know it was posted but i can't find it now, on active hunt for posi rear end and saw someone had said some malibu wagons had posi's, please retype donar list, or a link.

thanks
robrhino

·
Registered
6 Posts
Be sure to check your driveshaft length when swapping rear ends in G bodies.

To swap in a 8.5 you will have to shorten the driveshaft by 1 inch. You risk either cracking the transmission and/or blowing the rear trans seal.

I swapped one in my '79 Malibu, it was an extremely tight fit with out the driveshaft shortened. Still haven't shortened it yet, but, will be doing it this summer.

I was fortunate, I got the rear end from a Buick T Type and paid only $450 for it. I hear they go anywheres from $600 to a $1000 usually.

OddsNEnds

1 - 10 of 10 Posts